Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jeff Rader, May 8, 2002.

1. Okay, it's been a very good year. I just snagged a bass I've been searching for for quite some time...

A Fender Jaco Pastorius Relic fretless.

I have had the opportunity to play several new ones and was always amazed at the clear, woody tone and the ease of which it plays. I was not into the "relic" look, but what a great tone!

The price for a new one was way too high. So, I have been looking for a good deal on a used model. I figured it already looks beat to crap, what difference does it make if it's used! Well, I was killing time and walked into a local store on Saturday where they have a new relic. Only the manager was there. He asked what I wanted to play, and I pointed at the relic Jazz. He said he would make me a very good deal on it since they had had it for over 6 months and few folks knew what it was and those who did, didn't want to touch it after looking at the price for fear of dropping it. (Don't know how you could tell if it was ever dropped, but anyway...). The manager came back with a price that was less than I have seen it go for used. I couldn't resist.

It absolutely looks beat to heck.

No finish on the back of the neck. The body is scarred and scraped. The bridge, PU poles and tuners are rusty and worn. (Although they work very smoothly)

I tell ya, it sounds wonderful. The entire bass just resonates. No where near any other Fenders I have played. If this is even close to the vibe I hear about with the pre-CBS stuff, I now "get it". It's light and the strings are practically laying on the fretboard.

I know. I'm hopeless.

I gotta sell something...

2. I think your Sadowsky Vintage 5 is going to get jealous... You had better just go ahead and ship it to me. I'll make sure it gets fed well, and I'll sing lullabyes to it every night. :D

Anyway, congrats on the score! It's a great feeling, isn't it?
  3. Prague77

Aug 20, 2001
    Waco, TX
    i hate you......... :D
  4. Got any pics?
  5. This is the pic off the Fender site...

Ain't she ugly!

6. erm....uhh...

She's a beauty! :rolleyes:

:eek: :D
  7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    The Pushic 6?

I'm still intrigued by it. I'm thinking of asking Dave to make me a single cutaway 5 with similar specs.

Of course, you could just unload the 6 on me and I'll compromise...:D

Congrats on the Jaco bass.
  8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If you ever sell that Jazz for what you paid for it, I've got dibs on it.

Congratulations! I love those, although the new price is too much, IMHO.
  9. humm.....
  10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Congrats, Jeff. It's one heck of an affliction, isn't it?;)
  11. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    When I worked @ Sam Ash, we had one & it is a REALLY GREAT playing fretless bass. I'm not into fretless ot I probably would of bought it. LOL ;)

12. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    im sure people here would be interested in your Zon Lightwave or that DP custom... :)

man you are on your way to the best collection
  13. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    That is one sweet bass Jeff! I wouldn't mind one of those either;)
  14. Hey, if you gotta have an affliction, I can think of worse!

15. I might be tempted on the Pushic - getting used to a 35" scale is more of a challenge than I thought!

16. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Couldnt you have beat the crap outta it yourself and save a few hundred bux?
  17. :D

If the only thing about this bass was the looks, then, yep.

I'd prefer it look "new". The tone and playability is the draw - not that it's "reliced"