Scored a bass at Mars

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassAxe, Nov 17, 2002.

1. BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    It was like I was the last buzzard getting to the road kill. There was so little left by the crowds.

None the less, I got a Fender Sting signature P-bass for about $480.00

Now, when does Guitar Center file for Chapter 11? :D
  2. Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
  3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I woulda held out or tried to deal with them.

My friend is gonna get a Les Paul Studio for somewhere around $600. We're trying to get them to bring down the price a bit and so far its working.

4. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Three Modulus basses still hang at the Tampa Mars, one Genesis and two Quantums, all fives. The discount still stands at 20%. I keep hoping for what happened when Thoroughbred sold to Sam Ash. Elliott the owner was in the Clearwater store doing deals the day before the takeover. The difference is that Elliott knew what he was doing, and laughed all the way to the bank.
  5. BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    Anyone in the D.C. area, Mars in Springfield had some nice Fives, a Modulus or two, some Fenders, and about 3 Washburn 8-strings left when I got my Sting P-Bass, today. The Mods and the other fives were all still over $1,000.00 after the 20% discount. The Washburn 8s were just under $500.

Perhaps I should keep going back in case they come down more on those 5-strings?
  6. nice deal, man. how do you like it?
  7. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    I went to a Mars music, but it was locked down not to be opened again :(
  8. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Hopefully at some point AFTER they pick up a Modulus dealership. Then I'll give a damn about it.

Man, I wish there was a Mars in Cleveland so it could go out of biz...:(
  9. Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    I managed to get a Quantum5 (the one in my Avatar) for $1400 when Mars went belly up here in Denver. Also picked up a VJ and an MIA Jazz and sold them. They paid for the Quantum. :D
  10. man, theres nothing in newmexico, not even in albuquerque....:mad:
  11. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    The Mars in Raleigh, NC only had some beat up MIM Fender Jazzes & Deluxes, an Iron Maiden MIJ P-bass and a Modulus VJ, but were only 20% off the listed price. Kind of crappy deals :(

oh well

12. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Well it looks like some lucky stiff is going to walk in when the liquidators say 30% or 40% and grab the one I was looking at. I'm not going in that depressing store again. I can find better deals on ebay. Thank you and goodbye.:(
  13. chip80

Sep 25, 2002
    Yeah, for some reason that one in Southfield didn't stay open to have a sale! I was gonna pick up a MIA Jazz!
  14. BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    After some tweeking of the action and neck relief, the Sting bass and I are getting along much better.

After I had narrowed down which bass to the Sting P-bass, I spotted that they had one Roland V-Bass in stock for about $850. I couldn't afford both. I went nuts for about 30 minutes asking them to hold both for me while I tried to decide. Finally it occured to me: If taken well care of, the Sting bass is likely to appreciate in value. If I were to take good care of the V-Bass... it will still be rendered obsolete when Roland comes out with a V-Bass Plus or the V-Bass II or the V-Bass Super Sized Value Deal.

You can't beat a sweet bass. ;)
  15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I played a Sting P bass at a local store. Very nice bass! Nice tone and great playability. I was sorely tempted. If only it had more strings(and I had more money:()
  16. cjlbass

Nov 15, 2002
    I know this is probably a bit of a downer, while you guys are celebrating some really good deals, but I would like to point out that I would be willing to bet that prices will actually be heading up after this whole fiasco is finished. There are several very important things to keep in mind here. A LOT of manufactures are getting stiffed because Mars filed Chapter 7. Fender took about a 2 million dollar hit, as did Roland and many other manufacturers, You can't expect them to just eat it and not try to find a way to make up some money. If they don't then what becomes of the manufacturers that can't make up a hit like that, say a smaller company like Washburn. What if that is the difference for them between going under and not? I have no idea if they are in a situation like that, but if they are it would be bad to loose a manufacturer because of bad managemant at Mars.
    That said, as part of the competion for Mars, I'm not unhappy to see them go, but keep an eye out for other things to happen in the industry as a result. This could be a big wave in a small pond. The consumer got what it wanted, the lowest prices on the products it wanted.
  17. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Well, I guarantee that GC/MF and Sam Ash will be getting a higher demand from consumers, therefor at least easing the pain. It is the holiday season and someone needs to sling "Strat Paks" :rolleyes:
  18. They had an auction a month or two ago. Not knowing that, I went there the day after to see if they were having any good sales, and the parking lot was full of people with a bunch of gear. They let me in the store long enough to inform me that it was only open to people picking up the stuff they'd bid on the day before. :(