Scored a Dean 12 Rhapsody

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rockbobmel, Apr 11, 2002.

1. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I brought my friend to my favorite music store (Rock City Guitar) in Sommerville, MA (Boston area) yesterday to buy an amp. I saw this Dean 12 string bass. I picked it up and tried it. This thing sounds way cool. I always wanted to check one out. The Hamer 12's were pricy, and I think they were short scale. So I wasn't going to order one without playing. This bass is made real well fit & finish are excellent. It has 2 EMG HZ (Import) pups & active elects., grover pegs, 5 piece maple neck, mahog/maple Carl Thompsonish body. The tone is monsterous! I got it used (Mint) for $450. I can't believe how cool this thing is!!
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Very cool, Bob! Sounds like you got a great deal. I'll get a 12 one of these days.
  3. Winston TK

Winston TK Hairpiece Adventurer

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    Dean is at the top of their form these days. Great styles, great construction, great features, and excellent prices. (Pretty fabulous customer service, too.)

Congratulations on your recent purchase. You have a real winner on (in) your hands.
  4. I agree, Dean's are killer right now.
    I was messin around on a Rhapsody 8 string a while back at Motor City Guitar, and the thing was sweet. it had a bubinga over magahony body, 5 peice maple/walnut neck, grover tuners, and EMG-HZ pickups. all this for like $400 new, or something. I don't know how they do it, I know the HZ's aren't that good, but overall the bass sounded amazing. my wife had to pull me away from the thing.:( maybe I'll have to learn how to use that octave effect on the BAM 210.
  5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I'll tell you how they do it. Very low cost wages for the Korean factory worker :(, economy of scale from Cort who builds these things :), and relatively cheap (but sufficient) parts :) . I think the Indonesian and Chinese factories treat and pay their workers much worse than Korea though, so it's not that bad.
  6. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I started to feel guilty for a minute, but, 1) I got it used and somebody would have scooped it up if not me, and 2) Hamer imports copies of their 12 string and they are a pretty together company, no?
  7. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    As I said, I don't think the Koran workers are badly treated compared to their Indonesian and Chinese bretheren. I wouldn't feel too bad about a Korean made guitar, as a matter of fact I'd search out Korean instruments over any other budget piece. They have been making basses and guitars there for years now in large quantity and it shows int heir excellent workmanship.