1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Scored a good deal.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dustin Teel, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Dustin Teel

Dustin Teel Guest

Jun 2, 2011
    Just got a brand new Acoustic B200 1x15 ($330 list) combo for less than $180. It was on display at the local GC, I noticed a centimeter-long tear in the tolex on the back of the amp and (after about an hour of schmoozing the young, nervous sales guy) got him to give me the amp for the used price.

I went with this amp because it was superior in tone and volume to the Markbass, Ampeg, and GK 1x15 combos that were twice as expensive.

I plan on (in the very near future) adding the B115 extension cabinet to thus complete my very first 2x15 rig. How exciting.:hyper:

Now, I have used cabs with 10s and 12s for virtually my entire bass career. So I'm interested in feedback on what to expect with my transition to a 2x15 rig. We all (hopefully) know that speaker diameter alone doesn't really affect much. From what I've read, and based on my limited understanding of the science of sound, the greatest difference will be midrange dispersion. The experts on these forums seem to unanimously agree that a single, vertical alignment of drivers is a superior design to a "square" of tens or twelves for such reasons. Please correct me if I'm wrong about this.

There also seems to be a lot of talk of such a rig having a more "vintage" tone. To me, this seems like it might be more imagined than factual, since 2x15 rigs were simply more popular in the 70s. However, to my ears, modern bass tone does entail a higher level of treble. Any thoughts on this?

Another benefit of this rig is that it should be more appropriate for the band I'm in. We are an alternative act 4 piece with a singer, drummer, one guitar player, and me. I'm one of those very fortunate bassists who has found a rock n roll guitar player who plays at reasonable levels and is never overbearingly loud (yes, I know, I've struck gold). I'm currently using a Hartke 5500 through a Peavey TVX 412. At some of the venues we play, even with the EQ flat and the volume on 1, I can be a bit overpowering. In my mind, a 200 watt 2x15 rig should be more appropriate for what we are doing (200-300 person medium sized bars). Thoughts on this are welcome as well.

My overall question is, what am I getting into by entering the world of 2x15 riggage? I look forward to your feedback, and hope you all have a great, safe, holiday weekend.:bassist:

2. BluesOnBass

BluesOnBass Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Holland, Michigan
    I could be wrong here, but from what I've been told, I don't think you will gain much from adding the B115 cab because that combo has an ext speaker that is wired in series. This will decrease the wattage to the speakers (although increases the surface area of speakers pushing air) and may not give much increase in sound. I have a B200 also, which I really like, but was advised that adding an extension cab would not really give me much increase in volume. However, you might find in the venues that you describe, that the combo alone could be enough for you. Good luck.

3. Dustin Teel

Dustin Teel Guest

Jun 2, 2011
    I see. Have you ever tried adding a cab to your combo?

Even if it does decrease the wattage, it still seems like two 15s getting 50ish watts would be louder than a single 15 getting the supposed "200".

Is that not correct?

4. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Cool, we now have a new term..."riggage", not to be confused with "ohmage".

Nice score.

5. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    If they are in series like that, adding the cab might not it much louder but would still help with "fullness" and clarity. Mainly by getting a speaker up closer to ear level and narrowing vertical dispersion, thereby focusing more sound forward and less at the floor and ceiling.

6. Dustin Teel

Dustin Teel Guest

Jun 2, 2011
    If narrowing dispersion and an ear-level driver is the primary purpose it will serve, I could just buy an amp stand or something instead of a whole new cab.

Increased fullness would be good, though. I wonder just how much "fuller" it would sound...

If the head is 200 watts, and the extension jack is wired in series, how much power (approximately) will each driver be realizing?