1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Scored a SilverTone 1466!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassGreaser, Oct 8, 2013.

1. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'm getting back into gigging again with a country/punk band and needed to buy an amp on the cheap to run with my Pbass through a Showman Tone-ring cab (will be putting a JBL E140 into it).

I found this 150watt Silvertone 1466 SS head over on the Ebay, loved how simple the layout was, it looked clean on the inside.. So I pulled the trigger! This band doesn't play extremely loud (both guitarist are using 50watt 2x12's)

Pics to follow.. I already plan on replacing the worn out handle, two prong power cord with a 3 prong, and have a 1/4" speaker jack installed. Can't wait till it arrives!!

2. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Pics..
    Silvertone1_zps5a21af47.
    Silvertone2_zps1f1a38d4.

3. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Silvertone3_zps1635ad3f.
    Guts_zpsa82f2c56.

4. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Nice....

5. Beautiful minimalism ! Nice score, enjoy :)

6. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Cool. I'd get it checked out just in case it needs something (like new capacitors). No need to have a fire.

I still have my 1966 Silvertone Twin Twelve guitar combo.

7. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    I think you'll find that 150 watts is the amount of power it consumes.

It doesn't refer to the output power of the amp.

TD

8. A pair of 2N3055 output transistors, it appears. You would be lucky to get 70 watts out of that amp.

It almost certainly could benefit from replacing the power supply filter caps (the two big silver "cans" that are outside of the chassis, you can see their connections--the red/green and red/blue wires--in your photo). The two blue electrolytic caps also should be replaced.

9. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Thanks for the tips guys. I'll have the tech do a full go through on this little amp.

I also got this as I really liked the idea of it being easy to work on and replace caps and such as far as a vintage SS head goes.

Any info on mods that would get more a little more watts out of this amp?

10. Take the knobs off.

Put the knobs on a more powerful amp. Voila! :D

Seriously, it's very hard to coax more power out of an amp. First, you need a more powerful power supply...bigger transformer, bigger rectifier, bigger filter caps. Then the power amp part gets upsized...more output transistors, or higher-current output transistors. With bigger heat sinks to accommodate them, as well. And let's not forget the various components that accompany the output transistors...change the bias circuit, change the driver transistors, upsize emitter resistors, etc. Basically you're sticking a new power supply and new power amp into your box, keeping only the box and preamp section.

The best approach to get everything you can out of that little amp would be to recap it; possibly you can upsize the filter caps a tad which may help a little on bass peaks, but it won't work miracles. Then put in a more efficient speaker.

11. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Yeah that is too much work for a cheap amp. I do agree with putting slightly bigger filter caps in.

As for the efficiency of the speaker.. I thought JBL E140 was one of the better ones.

12. Ah, missed your original post about putting the E140 in it. Great speaker, I honestly don't know how efficient it is.

13. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Does anyone know a good amp tech within 3 hours of Philadelphia that can do a once over on this amp?

14. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    That amp looks like it's all original. It's like a bit of history. Point to Point solid state is very rare if it's working. It's fun to look at.

It could be working. If it was stored in a house in temperature controlled place. If it is original and working check around to see if someones looking to model one. Or take a profile on a Kemper. Models and profiles sell for a few dollars and could offset the cost.

It'd be a shame to go about swapping out parts just to swap them, or worst upgrades to sqeeze out more power, like they use to turn Model-T's into Hot-Rods.

It isn't up to safety standards. Plug into an isolation transformer.

15. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I found a guy in NYC that works on vintage solid state amps and he said he can go through and do a full cap job for the 1466!

16. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Quote of the week ;)

Yeah, once an amp is built, not much you can do about boosting wattage. The good news is that it's not necessarily going to be super quiet and it might turn out quite cool.

BassGreaser likes this.
  17. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Agreed. I can't wait til it gets here in 5 days. My thinking is for this punk made I don't need a really nice "pretty" sounding amp, and if this sound vintage and kind of crappy even better.