1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Scored a Stingray today!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by all_sixes, Mar 16, 2013.

1. all_sixes

all_sixes

Mar 15, 2013
    So I was at Guitar Center today, and I was playing some basses. I was mostly in there to try a VT bass (which they didn't have) and maybe some amps ('dat Tiny Terror...), but I just happened upon this 5-string Stingray and literally couldn't put it down. The low B was so tight and it thumped hard. Plus, the bass was $650 off!

I think you can see where this went... ImageUploadedByTalkBass1363485094.125854.

2. wobble man

wobble man

Feb 15, 2013
    $650 off, nice score! I'm jealous! I remember when I was a kid and saved up my paper route money for two years to finally buy a decent bass. Walked into a local shop on Christmas Eve and they had a cherry Stingray for 40% off! That made it just into my price range, and that was my one and only bass for years. Just wish I hadn't sold it now :( Enjoy!!!

3. JLY

JLY Supporting Member Supporting Member

Congratulations. Awesome bass. You will enjoy it!

4. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Dang that's pretty, nice score!

5. all_sixes

all_sixes

Mar 15, 2013
    Thanks guys! I'm sure it will be my exclusive 5-string for years to come. The funny thing is, the price reduction was supposed to expire at the end of January, so somebody left the tag on for about 2 months. I am so glad they still honored the price!

6. GG7

GG7

Mar 14, 2013
    Congrats!

I always feel that those inpulsive/out of the blue purchases are the special ones! If it were me, I would expect great things to come musically for you and that bass! :)

7. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    Stingrays make good 5 string basses

8. redhed

redhed Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2009
    SWEET! Stingrays are the bomb, congrats!!!!

9. echoSE7EN

echoSE7EN

Jul 1, 2010
    Balto., MD
    I have to second your experience. I actually went in Saturday to cancel an order I'd placed. While I was waiting for the manager to finish up the phone calls required to cancel my order, I picked up a SR 5 Classic that was on the wall. The order I had placed back in Feb., was using a 20% off coupon. The manager was super cool, understanding, and gave me the same 20% off. So, I walked out with it:

classic5_zps2cdfdc7d.

10. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

The Classic 5 is a great bass.

I love the look of the oval PG better than the standard SR5 as well. And the mutes... And the tinted neck.... And the colour options.... And the white PU covers.....

Congrats!

11. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    Those are great basses. You got a crazy deal on out too.

12. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I like that you're so excited about the purchase that you couldn't even wait to get it home to take a picture. You did it right in the parking lot! :D

I love my Stingray 5. It's been my favorite bass for several years and so far no other bass I've tried since buying my first one has been able to knock it out of the top spot.

13. all_sixes

all_sixes

Mar 15, 2013
    That's awesome man! Although your SR is killer, I think I like the white pick guard over the tortoise. :p

Regardless, high five for sweet deals!

14. lolmont

lolmont

Jan 2, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY
    Very nice also like the color combo with the guard.

15. Awesome, congrats and enjoy

16. Deaj

Deaj

Aug 15, 2004
    Kingston, WA
    Great score! I really like the Classics and I'm diggin' the white on red with amber tinted maple neck. Congrats! ! :)

17. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Very sweet basses, gents - those SR5 Classics are THE BOMB!!! I've been eyeing one of those since they came out - they have everything I want in a 5er... I currently have a Sterling 5 HS that's definitely a keeper, but could definetly see myself adding an SR5 Classic to the stable in the future... I had a beautiful BFR SR5 HH, but flipped it because tonally, it just didn't work for me that well - I know from playing my SUB5 that the combination of ceramic pups and 2 band preamp is more suitable for my needs... plus, the Classic has a slimmer neck and the glossy neck finish that I dig...

Anyways, congrats on the score...

- georgestrings

18. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    I think black pearl would work better than either one...

- georgestrings

19. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Nice!

20. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction

Apr 20, 2011
    Atlanta
    those are great basses- my ONLY complaint is a lack of a contoured body. That slab gets heavy on the marathon gigs. otherwise? amazing bass!!