1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Scored a vintage MXR red Limiter in pawn shop!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Crabby, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I picked up this pedal in a pawn shop for $50 Canadian on the weekend and am really liking it so far. Its from the early 80's but looks pretty much brand new.

I was really impressed with how quiet it is and very subtle but really works well to even out my sound and let finger taps and harmonics jump out as loud as pops and slaps.

Its ver subtle but you really miss it once you turn it off. The ac cord is permenently attached and thats actually kind of cool.

I checked ebay and one just sold yesterday for $248.50 US. Si for $50.00, I think I did ok. Anyone else have any experience with one of these?

mxr1.

mxr2.

mxr3.

mxr4.

2. 343 Salty Beans

343 Salty Beans

Jan 24, 2006
    Nice score!

3. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    Thanks, it was the first time I ever found anything for a good price in a pawn shop. They had a blue MXR 10 band eq with the attached cord as well for about the same price.

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    :D :D :D

The one that just sold yesterday for the big bucks, the one in those pics, was mine! I picked it up for about $115 a few weeks ago to re-review it, since the review I had originally written was one of the oldest of my reviews (and thus I had the least comparative knowledge to go on at the time).

It is a very nice comp pedal, impressively transparent. Definitely a good score for the price you paid. ;)

5. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    Thanks Bongo. I was too lazy to post pics of my actual pedal as it looks identical. Mine actually has the label on the bottom as well. I am really impressed so far and did read your original review. Is there an updated review posted yet? Your comp reviews are a fantastic resource for many of us.

Congrats on making a nice profit on your unit.

6. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Yeah, I updated the review already. I actually didn't have much new to say- as little as I knew back then, my impressions at that time were pretty close to my impressions of it now.

7. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    Thanks again. I re read your review and agree that the pedal is subtle but quite useable. How would you compare this unit to the Demeter Compulator?

8. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Umm... I'd say the Demeter's tone is a bit fatter or "nicer", and it's better at peak limiting. The MXR's attack and release controls make it a bit more versatile in the range of gentle/transparent compression, it probably allows a little more articulation when used with fingerstyle playing.

9. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    Sweet, thanks. I have been messing around a bit more with it today and realy like this pedal. It blows my Punch Factory away in many ways.

10. Spangled99

Spangled99

Mar 13, 2008

And the buyer was me! Actually I didn't really do any research into how much they go for normally (they appear to vary a lot), and someone else appeared to have (not) done the same, so lucky for you! Nevertheless I'm really happy with the pedal, although the controls are a little confusing. Its very nice for clean arpeggios/chords - when you want to even everything out a bit but not squash the attack.

I'm thinking of splitting the signal and running something like a Roland AS1 the other side. That's another pedal I like.

11. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Very clean pedal!

12. Spangled99

Spangled99

Mar 13, 2008
    The silly thing is I normally don't pay up for really clean gear because then I'm worried it'll get scratched...

13. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Ah, welcome to TB, and I am glad you're happy with the pedal! Regardless of the price, it's a solid pedal that will sound good for decades. The other one I had of the same model was older and more "used", and it sounded just as good.

If you haven't checked out my reviews page yet -linked in my sig- the review and the FAQ page will help explain the controls.

14. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    Yes it took me a few days to find the sweet spot but this baby really is a nice compressor. Subtle but still giving some good squish. Its dead quiet as well.

I will likely sell mine as i dont really need it but its really neat to have something with a "vintage" flair to it that really works in a modern setting.