Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Scored an Ebay Epifani 2x10....and questions !

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by incubus2432, Aug 20, 2004.

1. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    I just "won" an older side by side Epifani 2x10 on ebay (pretty good buy.....the seller spelled Epif-i-ni wrong which may have helped :) ). I'm pretty happy since I have been looking to add another small cab to my current setup (Mesa Diesel 2x10 and 1x15) for a little more cone area for larger gigs.
    Well here are my questions/concerns.....I currently run the two 8 ohm Mesa cabs "daisy chained" for a 4 ohm load to my amp. The Epi is a 4 ohm cabinet so if I "daisy chain" it with the other two, I'll get a 2 ohm load (I think). So am I right on my simple calculation?

Also, for info, my amp is rated for a two ohm load per channel in stereo (675 watts per) but not in bridged mode which is how I usually run it. They only list a 4 ohm bridged output (1350 watts). Do I run it in bridged at 2 ohms and hope for the best? Do I run the Mesa cabs on one channel and the Epi on the other?
    I know I could figure all this stuff out once I get it and start tweaking around but I figured I'd see what some opinions are while I wait for it to be shipped to my house. Thanks.

By the way, if it matters, my amp is a 10 year old Ashly FET-2000M that has been very clean/reliable (in the shop once recently for minor surgery) and I'm not looking to replace it for something more accepting of the new cabinet.

2. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    Man, if I said I got a Shroeder cabinet I'd probably have 5 pages of responses by now :eyebrow: . I guess I'll just wait until I get it and "wing-it" :bassist: .

3. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    Don't bridge it at 2 ohms. Personally, I'd recommend either bridging it all into the 2x10 or the 2 Mesa cabs OR running 2 Mesa cabs on one side and the Epifani on the other. Either way, you wouldn't really be making the most of your setup. I'm dealing with the same situation right now, I either have to get another set of the cabs I have right now or an amp that handles a 2 ohm mono load.

4. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    What Ericman197 said. I have a similar problem. 8ohm Basson 1x15/Avatar 2x10 4ohms/Acme Low B2 4 ohm. I dealt with it by getting another amp head to run one cab separately.

5. I was watching that auction and would have bid if I could have used the cab. Nice Score! :)

6. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    I thought about running both 2x10's on one side but I believe because of the impedence differences, the Epifani would get twice the power and drown the Mesa out. I believe I'll run the Epi on one side and both of the Mesa's on the other.....that way both sides will be getting 500 watts. Plus, as I undertand it, the Epi's are great full range cabinets (probably more so than the Mesa's) so the 2x10 vs. 2x10+1x15 with equal power might be just right! I'd be surprised if there is a huge volume difference but if there is I could tweak the power output from the amp a little to compensate.
    I would love to buy another amp but there is nothing wrong with mine so it seems like a waste. If things don't work out I should be able to recover my Epi investment pretty easily on Ebay. I don't even mind taking a little loss to rule out adding another cabinet as an option.

7. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    It may work if the Epifani is more efficient than the 2x10 and 1x15. Keep in mind that an 8x10 will naturally be louder than a 1x10 even if the same amount of power is being delivered to both. If your amp delivers 500 watts per side then that won't be a problem; the 100 some odd watts will hardly make a difference. Some amps deliever only half the power at 4 ohms per side vs. 2 ohms, so in that case you would've been better off with another amp.

8. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR!!!

Please don't take this the wrong way, but if you ever decide to get rid of it, I'll pay you $425 plus shipping.

9. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    I'll know in the next week after I try it out.......cool :D

10. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    <---seller

MARIO WHERE WERE YOU LAST WEEK!!!!!!!

i hope you enjoy dude. i cant believe my wife misspelled the name

figures

11. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD

I never thought to search for Epifini, but I have a standing search with quick alerts to my cell phone for epifani...

12. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    I actually did a search for "2x10 bass" (or something like that).....otherwise I'm sure I would have missed it.

Jon.....Sorry about not mentioning the spelling when I asked for pictures but I wanted the cabinet and knew the spelling was helping keep the bidder pool low. I know it is no consolation but I actually felt kinda bad about not mentioning it.
    Seriously, now that I am busted and know that you are a TB'er if you wish to relist it.....just get me my money back (including Paypal fees :) ) and leave me positive feedback and I'll be happy.

Actually, I'm kinda concerned about this impedence thing anyway so maybe we can work something out with Mario?
    Any suggestions that I can mull over before Monday's UPS pickup?????????? Maybe Mario could just pay me and you could ship it to him???..........Hmmmmmm!

Not sure if I want to let it go yet......let me think about it :help:

13. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    Is this a 4 or 8 ohm? I want an 8 ohm.

14. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD

O.K. I just read the original post. It's a 4. I'm out. It's all yours incubus.

Where are all the freakin 8 ohm cabs??!!

15. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    No problem......good luck.....now I await the arrival of the brown truck (unless Jon wishes to relist it.....in which case I go to plan 'B" later this week.....moooohahahhahhha!) :eyebrow:

16. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    no prob dude shipping it today. believe it or not i actually didnt lose anymoney on the deal, so i am happy. i am in memphis so you should have by like mid week.

17. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    just to clarify..........when you bridge a stereo amp into a 4 ohm load each side of the amp "sees" a 2 ohm load. Thats why stereo amps that only go down to 4 ohms a side only are safe to bridge into 8 ohms
    if your poweramp has input level knobs for each side it really wont matter if you have an 8 ohm cab on one side and a 4 ohm on the other when you are in stereo - you can always balance the volume with the inputs
    as far as flexibility goes, a stereo amp that goes down to 2 ohms a side is about as flexible as you're gonna get, unless you decide to get a crown 10k watt amp that will drive 0.5 ohms per side (that's sixteen 8 ohm cabinets per side kids!!!!!)

18. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    Thanks for the info....that is news to me (that a 4 ohm bridged load is seen as 2 ohm per channel). I guess that does make sense then. I'll just have to see how it goes tweaking the amp inputs.....I'm sure it will be fine. If not I'll just sell it (or the Mesa's) and figure something else out :D .

19. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    you'll have it wednesday!

rock out my brotha

20. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    cool....thanks ! :D :bassist: :hyper: