Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Scored an El Capitan A/E !

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by grooveguru, Aug 27, 2002.

1. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Just scored a mint Epiphone El Capitan Acoustic/Electric 4 bass. This is my first experience using one of these. Any opinions...Good, Bad, or elsewise? Awesome maple finish. Any quirks using these types of basses live?

Thanks

2. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I had an Ovation and a Washburn acoustic years ago. They can be a lot of fun to have on a gig. I replaced the round wounds with flatwounds to get that dated vintage acoustic tone.

One issue to be aware of (just as with 6 string guitars) is feedback at higher volume settings. you can get around it by standing farther from your speaker cab and also holding / muting the strings that aren't being played.

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Congrats - El Caps are nice ABGs! You may want to try a set of LaBalla black nylonwounds on it for a more percussive tone - Carvin has them for peanuts. And a soundhole plug may come in handy for live (plugged in) play - they help prevent feedback.

4. I saw a guy play a fretless 5 El Capitan on a jazz gig and get a good upright tone from the thing. How playable are those beasts with the large body and all? I'm considering buying one in the next month or so.

5. contrabassie

contrabassie

Mar 11, 2003
    Belgium
    I've tried nylon wound strings (I did it yesterday) and they're very nice on an el capitan