Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Scored an Ibanez Musician bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Trev, Jun 14, 2004.

1. Trev

Trev

Feb 23, 2004
    Saw this Ibanez Musician MC924 for sale at a store here in Singapore. From the serial number it appears to have been made in 1982. Pickups and electronics work fine in both passive and active mode, although the 'Hi" pot on the 3-band EQ seems to do nothing at all. I haven't opened the cavity at the back to check the wiring out yet tho.

Playability is excellent, no neck warp etc. Frets are a little worn out tho, but nothing really serious. Sounds kinda like a cross between a Fender Jazz and an Alembic. Nice punchy attack when played with a pick. The downside? This bass is HEAVY. Probably the heaviest bass I've played so far.

All in all, I think its a great bass tho, and heres the kicker -
    I managed to talk the owner into selling it to me for $500 (US$290)!

Oh.. theres a small metal plate covering the battery compartment and the screw securing it looks pretty well worn out, so I'm going to have to figure out how to get that open. Any ideas?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    Hey there fellow red-dotterian!! :D That's a nice bass you've got there :) She looks to be in pretty mint condition as well... another 10 more years or so and you've got yourself a bona fide vintage ibanez :D
    Congrats!!

3. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Nice bass. I'd like to add a Musician to my collection someday, but never seem to be able to find one at the right price/condition when I have the cash spare. Enjoy.

4. Trev

Trev

Feb 23, 2004
    Actually there are lots of dings and scratches, mainly at the bottom and headstock, and theres a really big chunk of lacquer missing from the back.. i think thats from a belt buckle. I may have the whole thing refinished someday. Guitar Workshop is the only place where I could get that done right?

5. Trev

Trev

Feb 23, 2004
    Thanks!

Theres a similar one for sale onthis page. Its in Japan tho.

6. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    Actually, there are more places where you can get that done. In fact, there's a local luthier who's slated to come back from Beijing on the 2nd of July. I'll be getting him to set up my bass for me (and teach me how to do it at the same time) :D
    For more local info - go <a href="http://forums.delphiforums.com/bassplayerssin">here</a>

7. nice...i really like the ibanez musician basses...there is one where i bought my kubicki for $700aus, two single coils, passive, natural, volume, tone and 3way pickup switch.....i had a play of it and it felt nice and sounded alright considering it had 10 year old flatwounds on it, its been sitting in the store for that long...he also has an Axstar by ibanez steinberger copy...rather nice considering it had9 year old rusted round wounds on....obviously its a guitarists store..lol....he has elixers on all the guitars...doesnt touch the basses

8. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Congrats and welcome to the club, I believe they are the most underated and best sounding basses of all time.. I'll keep mine forever..

9. Lulu

Lulu Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Belgium
    I have juste bought a Musician in Belgium model 1979 for 450 EUR (541 USD) great great sound, now I have the opportunity to buy a MC980, the musician 8 strings, for +/- 950 USD, what do you think about the price and the playablility of a 8 strings ?

Have a nice day

10. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Lulu I played a Musician 8 string a few years back and it was a sweet bass that was very usable, I passed it up like a dope,
    I'm not sure of the price but if I found one in a local shop I would snap it up.

11. Trev

Trev

Feb 23, 2004
    Funkster> Thanks man. By the way that white Musician bass of yours looks awesome and I bet it sounds that way too! I've seen a couple of the natural finish and white ones online but I've only seen one in black so far. Are these generally harder to find then the others? Come to think of it, I haven't seen any fretless ones either.

Ok so I've been playing this bass for a couple of days now, and I've noticed something odd - When I pick hard, there seems to be a weird klanging noise. I don't think this is coming from the pickups; it almost sounds as though the strings are hitting something. As far as I can tell, the strings are not hitting the pickups, cos I lowered them and the noise is still there.

This noise is kinda mid-rangey and very short in duration... it dosent stay throughout and dies off quickly after I've picked a note. It isn't so obvious when I turn down the mids on the active EQ, but I don't want to do that cos it changes my tone quite drastically. If I play with my fingers (which I'm terrible at) or pick very softly, again, its less obvious. This happens on all 4 strings by the way, but its definately more prominent on low notes, and the open E and A strings.

My guess is that its not a pickup/electonics problem, but honestly I don't know enough to justify that. Could it have something to do with the frets? Any help from anyone would be really great. I'm going thru an Aguilar DI out to a mixer if that helps. Thanks!

12. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Is it a distorted sound? Have you changed the battery yet, Mine gets funky when the batterty hits around 8.5 volts,
    I would have guessed that the pups were to close to the strings but you already took care of that, By all means you want that midrange honk so turning down the mids will not be accepted,,lol Doesn't sound like the preamp, hmmmm Does it do it in passive mode also?

13. Trev

Trev

Feb 23, 2004
    Yeah, its there in both active and passive modes. Its not so much a distorted sound.. more like that sound you get when you take the cable out with the amp on... like a "pop", but not as loud. I was just playing it again before typing this and now I think it may be something to do with the pickups.

That big pickup closer to the neck 'pops' more than the one at the bridge... if I just use the bridge pickup the noise is quite minimal but I love the way the big pickup sounds tho lol. Also I carefully looked to see if the strings were hitting anything and they weren't, unless I'm missing something there.

Ok well I'll try changing the battery and see how it goes. Thanks for the help!

14. Trev, another welcome into the Musicians club.

Mine is a 1979.

Funkster, I'm working on getting pics of mine up, hopefully soon.

Mike :)

15. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    As to those "popping" sounds coming from your Musician bass... does this happen without warning and without you doing anything to/on the bass?

The reason I ask is because when I got my '79 MC924 off of eBay, the seller had neglected to mention the VERY LOUD pops and clicks the bass would make when the volume and boost knobs were turned. Did I say VERY LOUD?!?!? :eek:

A liberal dousing of the pots with a good contact cleaner cleared that issue right up and "all's been right with the world" ever since!

16. Trev

Trev

Feb 23, 2004
    Michael Jewels> Thanks!

No it only happens when i play. Other than that the pots etc are fine.

At this point I'm quite sure the pickups on my bass are at fault. Tried changing the battery but that didn't do anything, and anyway the noise was still there in passive mode.

By the way a friend of mine says he thinks Bartolini used to makes replacement pickups for the MC924. Do they still?