1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Scored an old Hofner- Help me ID i

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by johnnyaquanet, Jul 23, 2012.

1. johnnyaquanet

johnnyaquanet

Jul 23, 2012
    I just got this today and I need some help pinning down the year it was made. I have the pick guard also, its the older mother of pearl kind not the plane white.

Any info would be great. Thanks!!
    DSCN2491.
    DSCN2490.
    DSCN2489.
    DSCN2488.
    DSCN2487.

I paid $800 for it. Its hard to see but I think it has 7092 on the back of the head. I can check the pots but how do I read them? Also, I can't find a correct size tool to adjust the truss rod. Is there a specific size you need for a Hoff?

Thanks for any help!

2. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    Hofner's are always difficult to pin point their actual year of manufacture, but since this one has type 513B pickups and the fat heal on the neck it's most likely 1968 or 69. I also see it has closed back machine tuners with plastic buttons which were used during the late 60's into the early 70's.

Type 513B pickups were introduced in late 1967 and the redesigned heal of the neck (fat heal) was introduced in 1968.

If you can remove the control panel and post in this thread the codes on the two volume knobs that would help. They will read 250k_ _ _. The three last numbers will be the year and week that the pots were manufactured.

Enjoy your bass.

TD

3. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    Small logo , humpback tuners and blade pickups . 68 -70

4. michaeljb

michaeljb

Oct 20, 2011
    Control Panel, neck-heal, small logo and enclosed tuners put it at 1970-73. 74 saw a slightly larger control panel and black switches but with tea-cup knobs. 77 saw the black micro-switches aling with black barrel knobs. Some of these knobs might have had a silver center (almost like a marshall anp knob).

Another indication of early 70's vs late 70's is a small GOLD logo (if your logo was silver and small, it would put it past '77) and the fact your covered tuners still have plastic knobs ('77 till end of standard run usually had the covered tuners with SILVER METAL buttons.