1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Scored my first fretless (squier vintage modified)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by impactwrench, Apr 23, 2009.

1. impactwrench

impactwrench

Feb 22, 2009
    I bought this locally and it was advertised as having an Aguilar Preamp and the original preamp included. Well I opened it up and it looks passive to me, though looks like it was shielded with black paint. He also handed me the 'original preamp' (I thought these were passive) and it is just a green circuitboard that says 'mk1' and has 18 wires coming off of it, all different colors. What the heck is it?

Doesnt really matter that it wasnt as described...plays and looks great and is in like new condition with only some buckle rash and an added thumbrest.

2. Justice

Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    MK1 sounds like a Bartolini preamp, which the Squier VM does not come with. Aguilar preamps are little black boxes and there should be batteries as well. No batteries = no Aguilar

hopefully the price was right.

3. impactwrench

impactwrench

Feb 22, 2009
    the neck has a smooth finish!

I will try to post a pic of the "preamp". Like I said, supposedly its the stock preamp, though Im pretty sure the bass is passive stock, and it looks passive now, because I see no battery or preamp inside. So I dont know what the heck he gave me.

The pickup wires were cloth covered, is that common for duncan designed?

4. impactwrench

impactwrench

Feb 22, 2009
    here is a pic of the "preamp"

anyone know what this is?

it says 'mk 1' on the bottom right corner

5. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    MK1 is a Bartolini preamp. It did not come in your Squier originally, and I doubt it was ever installed. No matter, if you are happy with the bass and got a good deal. :)

6. impactwrench

impactwrench

Feb 22, 2009
    so other than this chip, what parts am I missing from the full preamp kit?