Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Scored my QSC today!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MascisMan, Feb 15, 2004.

1. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Picked up a RMX 1850HD at my local music store today. Brand new sealed in the box was $380!

Will be using my Ampeg B2R temporarily for a preamp and weighing my options on a replacement preamp. Here is what I am thinking:

Sansamp RBI
    Ampeg SVP-Pro
    Ampeg SVP-CL
    BBE Max
    BBE Max-t

2. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Very nice amp if you can handle the weight... I have owned both the SVP-Pro and the RBI and both are very nice pre's! I really liked the tone of both... The SVP had better tube tone IMHO but the RBI was less expensive and had a tighter sound to it overall (compared to how I had the SVP tubed). Do a search and you'll find a ton on both here... :smug:

3. I'd like to have one of that specific model.... ideal for handling a 2-ohm load in each channel, all day long.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I tried the RBI, and the Pro. I was sold 100% on the Pro. I just couldn't afford it. If you got the money, get the Pro.

-Mike

5. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Have you tried a BBE BMax Preamp? I just got one and I'm impressed...

6. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    With the little experience I have with it, the BBE (t-max? anyway, their tube pre) is much cleaner sounding to my ears than either the SVP or RBI. For better or for worse... ;)

7. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    You got a great deal on that RMX.

The 1850HD was the model I wanted when I got my rig, but the dealer I got the rest of my rig from didn't have any RMX's in stock and make me a good deal on a PLX1602.

Preamps:
    Definitely check out the BBE BMAX and the SVP-Pro. Personally, for the money, I don't think the BMAX can be beat for great tone.

If you get an SVP-Pro, I've heard they require a burn-in period of constant operation (like 24 hrs.) to get rid of some of the noise.

The RBI is more versatile than the BMAX, but I'm not crazy about the basic sound (but a lot of people do really like it).

8. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I have a PLX2402 in my bass rig that's awesome. Just plug everything in and never have to think twice about it. I've managed to steer a couple of friends toward QSC when they were looking for amps to power subs. One went with an RMX1850HD and the other with an RMX2450. Both of them are more than satisfied with their amps. I'm sure you'll get years of great service from yours.

9. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    thanks for all the replies guys. Yeah I wish there was somewhere close to me that I could check out the BBE Max pre.

Right now the front runner in my mind is the SVP-Pro though. Dont want to spend a ton (maybe a $500 limit).

10. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I wouldn't mind having a SVP-Pro to use on certain songs with my current rig.

You might be able to find a BBE dealer that would give you a 48 hr or 1 wk trial period on a BMAX (street price is significantly below $300).
    You might try .Rik's Music.

Good luck.

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I didn't realize anything form BBE was a contender in your pre-amp purchase. I used an older 383 for a long time, it is great.

The BMax's are excellent. I love the tones from the BMax-T. I have had a chance ot play on both alot. If I still had a rack rig, I would be buying a BMax-T right about now with some of my tax refund.

-Mike