Scorpian 15 inch speaker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassman454, Jul 30, 2002.

1. i have an old peavey TNT115 with a scorpian in it..
    the amp is a pretty tired old thing that has had a pretty hard life...but i think that it would be worth building another cab to put the scorpian in, as i now have a pre-power amp setup.
    i feel that the TNT combo is a poor design cab with a pretty average sound and i think that the scorpian would sound beter in another cab.

do you think would it be worth making a new cab for the scorpian and what design would be good?? what internal volume do i need for the scorpain and port size??
  2. mikeboth

mikeboth The last thing you'll ever see

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Operator: prophecysound systems
    My opinion is that if the amp is 'old and tired', likely the speaker is also (as it would have been reproducing the same signals as the amp had to deal with). :)

I used a number of TNT / TKO(?) PVs in the past and didn't really like the sound that much, but I doubt you could improve too much on the sound just by installing the same driver in a different cab. While manufacturers have to make compromises on their cab designs for the marketplace, I doubt they would really make something that was *that* bad.

If you have another cab to use in the meanwhile, it could be an interesting experiment though!

3. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    I agree with bassman. Depending on how old the cab is the speaker might be getting a bit tired. If I had the option I don't think I would build a cab with a new scorpion speaker anyway, in terms of Peavey speakers I would go with the black widow speaker. They're built much better than the scorpions.