1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Scot Bass Lessons and...?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by red7flag, Jan 14, 2018.

1. red7flag

red7flag

Oct 25, 2017
    Dickson, TN
    When I first started playing bass a few months ago, I kept running into Scot Devine bass lessons on youTube. I went to the website, did a trial, then joined for a year. I did not at the time check out other online sources. What other online bass courses are there and how does SBL compare? My preference in music is acoustic, rock and blues. I know this is a little late asking but, oh well. BTW, I have learned a lot since joining SBL and am not at all dissatisfied, just want to expand my knowledge for when I decide to move to more specific lessons.

2. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds

Oct 7, 2016
    Private tutor perhaps?

SJan3 and DiabolusInMusic like this.
  3. GastonD

GastonD

Nov 18, 2013
    Belgrade, Serbia
    The other ones I liked are Tony Grey's Bass Academy and Adam Nitti Music Education. Center Stage Bass academy is also pretty good. They are all video based. If you are not necessarily oriented to video, but would go with PDFs and mp3 files, then Cliff Engel's www.cliffengel.com/courses/ are also great.

red7flag and MrLenny1 like this.
  4. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    I have used SBL and really like the way Scott
    presents material. A real value considering cost.
    I have recently looked at a few
    Tony Grey videos and like his presentation also.
    Check out Marlowe DK also.

red7flag likes this.
  5. Everybody is saying about the same thing, just using different words and techniques. Speaking of words, I like Ed Friedland's words. Do a Google.

6. Charley Umbria

Charley Umbria I'm Really a Drummer Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Rock City, TN
    Check out Roy Vogt’s Teach Me Bass Guitar program. Roy probably has more teaching experience than most of the other online educators combined. He’s also a member here on TB.

GastonD, red7flag and FunWithBass like this.
  7. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    red7flag likes this.
  8. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

Knee-to-knee lessons are always the best option for a beginner. It is really difficult for a video to look at your technique and correct it.

Basstards likes this.
  9. cgull and red7flag like this.
  10. Whippet

Whippet

Aug 30, 2014
    If you have no knowledge of music or have very little/limited, then I suggest Ariane Cap.

You need a syllabus. Without it, you'll just be learning bits and pieces of information here and there. It'll be somewhat similar to learning parts of the songs but never be able to play even one from the beginning till the end.

Trust me on this. I was once in the same boat. I wasted time and money. I then got back to the roots of education and remembered why teachers give you a syllabus at the beginning of the semester. If you have no destination, you have no idea where you want to be 12 months from today. If you get a teacher, then make sure that person isn't a hack teaching you little tricks and licks. That my friend, is a total waste of time and money.

A logical systematic approach using proven method is the only short cut.

I will be checking out Jeff Berlin soon because people have said that, that is an excellent format too.

11. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    Check out Carol Kaye's studies. Some of the most useable, IMHO.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021