1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

scotch tape

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by markshima, Mar 22, 2006.

1. markshima

markshima

Mar 3, 2006
    Boston, MA
    Apart from the discussion about whether fingerboard markings are good or bad, will scotch tape damage my fingerboard?

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
  3. I would stay away from scotch tape. I don't know how it will act for sure on a fingerboard, but having experienced scotch tape residue on other surfaces, I don't think you would be happy. :crying:

If you feel the need to have fingerboard marks, I would check out that link that Ray posted of the other discussion and see what other methods of markers people have used.

True story about fingerboard markings: My college professor used the little 1/4" colored sticky dots. His habit was to walk up to me (or other students) while I was playing a piece and WHAM! stick them on the fingerboard. Um, maybe that was a hint? :D

4. markshima

markshima

Mar 3, 2006
    Boston, MA
    I had actually put some Wite Out on the side of my fingerboard a while back and found that it left a little blemish upon removing it. Do you suspect the same may happen to yours, or are you using a particular type of Wite Out that's easier to remove/less abrasive?

By the way, given your experience with bass playing, I'd love to hear the results of your experiment.

5. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Nothing special. Just Wite Out. Lighter fluid (Zippo) takes it right off. Just gotta be careful to keep it off the finish.

I'll certainly be posting as I figure out how well it works for me...

6. jfv

jfv

May 5, 2003
    Portland, OR
  7. TheJimster

TheJimster

Feb 21, 2006
    Pensacola, FL
    stay away from scotch tape. When you pull it off to get your bass cleaned or it's starting to bother you (or for whatever realson you need to take it off) it will pull some of the wood varnish off and leave this giant pale wood mark on your fingerboard. Their is a special tape my bass instructor uses. ask WolfeHollow about the tape he buys.

8. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I just marked the same stops that you would have on guitar or bass guitar. There're just a helluva a lot more dots on our necks with 2 1/2 octaves...

9. Wolfehollow

Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    buy pinstriping tape for cars... it comes in small widths and wont leave a sticky residue.