Scott Ambush and Spyro Gyra

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Miracle Man, Nov 10, 2002.

1. I have heard it

4 vote(s)
  2. Never heard it

2 vote(s)
  1. Miracle Man

Miracle Man

May 10, 2002
    Scott Ambush on the Shaker Song
    what do you think?
    I listen to Spyro Gyra a lot and think their a great band, but not very popular because i can never find any tabs for them!!! Help?
  2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I haven't heard that album, but Scott has been a top name in the Washington D.C. area for many many years. I used to bump into him in the local music stores from time to time, and he's a really nice guy, happy to share his knowledge with newbies. I don't mean to name-drop; I just think the good guys should get their due.
  3. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I'm a huge fan of Spyro Gyra and Scott Ambush!

(I'm not a huge fan of tabs...)
  4. Why do you want tabs? You will benefit a lot more by working the lines out yourself. I'll let you into a secret.....none of the great bassists in the world, alive or dead, got great by learning tab. They got great by LISTENING, TRANSCRIBING, MEMORISING.
  5. never heard it

may have to raid my parents CD collection and see if they have it. Which CD is it?
  6. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    I love Scotts style, I think he's a very good player, and lays down good complex basslines without over playing on the songs.

BTW, this is the wrong forum to be asking for tabs of any sort, we have a tablature forum and thats where any/all tab requests should be posted.

You should muster up the discipline and take the time required to learn the lines by ear. Especially if you want to be a serious musician/bassist. Tabs teach you nothing about the song quality, sure it'll show ya what frets to play, but notation will show you the rhythmic values, key signature, and time of the piece of music, and learning it by ear, will help you to develop much needed ear training. Just my 2 cents worth of unwanted opinion on that subject.

much love

mama cass
    tab nazi :D
  7. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Unless you talking about a live recording, Scott Ambush wasn't the bassist on Shaker Song. It was either their first bass player who's name escapes me or Will Lee. Scott is a badass though....I've seen him with them a couple times and he just smoked! Something the happy jazz albums they keep putting out lack:(