Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Scott Colley

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Marcus Johnson, Oct 3, 2004.

1. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Mention of Scott Colley in another thread made me want to check out him some more, at www.scottcolley.com

Whoof...if you go there, check out the "scott colley radio" section. Then check out the trio CD "Magic Line", with Chris Potter and Bill Stewart. Go the the tune entitled "Dog Logic". Enjoy the bass solo a lot, as I did. This guy is the real deal.

2. I dunno what it is with those Artistshare sites....every time I go in one, my computer goes whacky. Same thing with the Jim Hall site. Also can't make the media player work at all.
    Anyway Marcus, Scotts a Mother. I travelled a bit with him in Europe when he was with Carmen. Funny cat too! I've only heard his stuff with Jim Hall though.

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    You know, I'd like to hear more of Scott's playing, but I'm not quite sure where to start. Now that his website's back up, I'll check it out, but if anyone has recommendations of intimate duo/trio (possibly quartet - IF the horn player isn't overbearing) stuff that he's on, I'd be glad to hear about it. :)

4. Durrl...check out the Jim Hall stuff. Everybody is so familiar with Jims playing. it makes it easy to get into Scott with Jim kinda being your tour guide!
    I've told this story before....I was in Europe once working with some Denver players, plus some stuff with Clifford Jordan.
    Scott was working with Carmen McCrae and my musical son Eric Gunnison. Clifford got sick and had to cancel our gig together. Timing was perfect because I had a week off and Carmens band had a week before we were all supposed to go up to the North Sea Jazz Festival. I didn't have my trunk with me, and nowhere to store my bass...so me and the Bohmann went on vacation with those guys. Scott helped me schlepp the bass all over the place. Scott was able to leave his bass stored in its trunk at the train station. As we went outside there was a museum across the parking lot with a banner advertising the current feature "Instruments Of Torture Throughout The Ages" I stood under the banner with the Bohmann and had Eric snap a pictue of us.

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

I found one Jim Hall disc on the site that looks amazing: "Jim Hall and Basses", featuring Jim with Scott, Mraz, McBride, Holland...Damn, that one's a no-brainer. Are there others with Jim and Scott that you know of?

6. I haven't heard that one, but any of the other Jim with Scott are great. I heard some cuts on the radio once that were done live with just the two of them that was real loose and pure fun. There's also one with Jims compositions with various instumental settings. Some with horns, strings and different mixes with alot of tonal timbres. I think somebody borrowed it and it never came back, so I can't tell you the name....Outstanding though!
    Try JimHall.com.

7. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I have one called "Textures", is that the one you're thinking of?

8. JazznFunk

JazznFunk Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    Scott's on a lot of Chris Potter's stuff, namely Concentric Circles, Gratitude, and Lift (live album). Check out Greg Osby's "The Invisible Hand" as well for great Scott playing. I'm sure there are others out there, but these are some of my faves.

9. Hah..that's it! So you're the one Marcus........ :eyebrow:

10. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    Some of you may not be hip to AllMusic on the web. It just underwent a re-design; it was known formerly as the All Music Guide.

http://www.allmusic.com

They have got tons of info. Just type in "Scott Colley" into the search box and you'll get a bio and -- if you register, which is free and appears not to produce spam -- discographies, credits, etc. Looking in his "credits" listing (to pick up all his sideman credits), I see two pages of Scott Colley recordings.

I find AMG to be an invaluable resource; it's exactly the sort of thing The Web is good for.

11. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Oops....guess you want your weed whacker back, too.....

12. edge83

edge83

Apr 12, 2004
    Astoria New York
    Adam Rogers' "allegory" is one of my favorites that Colley is on.. i love the compositions and band sensitivity.. he is featured nicely with a burning duo moment with Potter on the first tune

13. You guys may also want to check out the Brad Shepik Trio album titled "Drip." It's out on iTunes and a description of it is on allmusic.com. Colley is just rock-solid throughout: great time, solid tone, phenomenal support work and great solo ideas, all over what sounds like some pretty challenging and interesting charts.

14. I heard another Scott Colley cut on the radio the other day and realized one of the things that really sets his playing apart, and an obvious thing to most DB players is that....I need to think about how to verbalize it....ya know, when your playing a run, or a group of notes together, it's really no biggy when the run is going up ( in terms of from low up to high with gravity helping with the weight of your arm ) but Scott Colley plays (along with that other Scottie guy) runs decending, or from up high to down low. This is definately going against the grain and a bitch to pull off on our particular instrument. I can betcha Scott LaFaro practiced this daily!
    I practice this too, if you think about it, Bill Evans did alot of this descending kind of run.
    One of my favorite Bill solo's is on that beautiful tune: 'Goodbye' from that Cannonball record, 'Know What I Mean?' employs this technique on the piano. I used to watch Bill do it alot. As I remember, he used his thumb and index finger to go down the keyboard in one of these brilliant runs!
    The reason I remember is that i'd have to send my dirty, wet, pants to the cleaners the next day! :bawl:

15. flatback

flatback

May 6, 2004
    Bolinas Ca
    By all means check out Peter Epstein's Old School. I went to school with Peter at Cal Arts (just after Scott left) and he was brilliant then) Old school is a live trio recording done in 4 hours or something by the MA label. This cat (at MA) likes to record with just 2 stereo mics (tres hifi tho) Peter Erskine on drums. Scott really steps out on this record, a true trio record. Lift is a great CD . Man that opening solo into the groove is over the top (Kevin Hayes makes bold yet so right musical choices) Scotts CDs are wonderful too. But man Old School I keep coming back to.
    Piro Patton

16. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I hear you, Paul. Isn't it strange how a lot of us are reluctant to use descending lines in our improvisations? I've been trying to get into that myself lately. It sounds really fresh, just because you don't hear it very often. Another example is lines in fourths; been trying to get my hands into those shapes, too. ;)

17. Yeah, and not to try to force my love of Red Mitchell on everybody again, but his descending, melodic and left hand glissandi are a mother too!

18. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    ... I had never seen Red play until just the other day. Another one of those old Montreal Jazz Festival concerts that Cool TV runs every night (only in Canada, just like Red Rose Tea; sorry).

This was Red with Oliver Jones (Oscar Peterson's Montreal neighbourhood homie and star pupil) on piano, Ed Thigpen on the kit and Clark Terry trumpet. Something that caught my attention: Red was really something to see as well as hear. (Was he always a sitter, Paul?) Anyway, I loved the way his head was moving around scanning the other players and the scene, a not-quite-smile on his face. It was a sort of bird-like movement but not so fast; an extremely attentive movement. It really conveyed the impression he was hearing everything. Neat to watch, especially in a guy whose look otherwise was in a big-bear red-haired Santa Claus sorta bag.

Such a unique player. Gotta love it...

19. Damon, Red didn't always sit. I saw him in L.A. in the late sixties, just before he left for Sweden. He had just started using an amp that he made that was designed for him to sit on. That was also not long after he started tuning in 5ths. He was playing his big beautiful Klotz that night.
    I was in town with the great jazz singer Ethel Ennis. Marcus, Mike Buono was there with me that night.
    Before that, he always stood. Of course, I came right home and bought a stool and an amp. I hold him personally responsible for ruining my back. You know how it is when you have a hero. Luckily for everone, I never tried to sing.
    Red was great fun to watch. He would sing everything he played....he was 100% music. It just literally poured out of him!!

20. old thread, but i figured i'd share a recent experience with everyone.

i had the chance to get up to NY this past week for a lesson with Scott Colley, and you can't say enough about the guy. he is really warm, and was extremely helpful with all of the questions i had for him (mostly dealing with odd times, melodic soloing, practice methods, etc.) i got a chance to see him play two nights later at 55 bar with donny mcclasin and he killed everything. scott is one of those players that you can tell it's him immediately when you hear him play. very fluid phrasing, and his facility all over the fingerboard is pretty scary. check him out if you haven't already done so. i recommend his albums subliminal, and this place...