1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Scott LaFaro Transcriptions

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by adrianlaird, Sep 28, 2013.

1. adrianlaird

adrianlaird

Sep 28, 2013
  2. Tom Lane

Tom Lane Gold Supporting Member

I haven't had a chance to listen while reading the transcriptions yet, but they look excellent! Thanks for sharing. I am curious why you weren't able to publish them for a fee, though. Care to elaborate?

3. pnchad

pnchad

Nov 3, 2005
    they do look very done

nice little treat - I'll check back after I play a few

lot's work work but well worth it I'd bet

4. JRuiz614

JRuiz614

Jun 13, 2013
    This is great

5. adrianlaird

adrianlaird

Sep 28, 2013
    The LaFaro estate refused permission to use his name and likeness, mostly due a previous contractual obligation. It's my understanding that Phil Palombi (who did the book of 15 LaFaro solos) has the right to publish any more work he has done, but in the decade since that book has been released nothing has happened.

6. Tom Lane

Tom Lane Gold Supporting Member

That's a bummer that you couldn't sell your efforts. You couldn't advertise it as "Bill Evan's favorite bass accompanist transcriptions"? How many hours do you figure it took to transcribe that much complex material? Regardless, assuming the transcriptions are mostly accurate, you've done the world a service, IMO. Good karma should be headed your way.

7. geoffbassist

geoffbassist UK Double Bassist Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 17, 2006
    UK
    Founder - Discover Double Bass
    I haven't had a chance to play through yet but these look superb! Thanks for sharing and good luck in getting them published as it looks like a fantastic collection.

8. joe vegas

joe vegas Supporting Member

that's a tremendous gift you gave the world. many thanks.

9. Borzi_4

Borzi_4

Apr 3, 2012
    LA
    Wow.

You're the MAN! That is a ton of work you put in there, thanks so much for sharing this. Awesomeness in ink.

10. adrianlaird

adrianlaird

Sep 28, 2013
    Too many hours to count. Since I can't get them published my main goal for these is to get them out there for free so as many people as possible can check them out and study LaFaro's great performances.

Thanks to everyone for their kind words - tcl, pnchad, JRuiz614, geoffbassist, joe vegas, and Borzi_4 - nice to know that people appreciate this work :)

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

John Goldsby, who posts here frequently had an article and transcriptions of Scott LaFaro published in the Holiday 2009 edition of Bass Player magazine - maybe they would be interested in some of these?

12. tkozal

tkozal

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    Thanks a lot these are great!

13. wow, Christmas comes early, thank you so much for this :cool:

14. Mackton

Mackton

Oct 14, 2013
    Wow! These are amazing. I just made an account on here because I was so excited to find these and had to thank you. So thank you!

15. I see that, unfortunately, these had to be pulled from your site. :laugh:
    Any chance that you (or anyone) can make them available to those of us who missed this?

16. With Buckthorn

17. aidan_111

aidan_111

Oct 18, 2015
    Hey,

Just wondering what happened to the link above. Whenever I click it, it says the blog is protected. Any suggestions on how to get the transcriptions? Thanks.

18. bump

Clicking on the link got me a message saying the author deleted it. Any other link to get it elsewhere?

19. Just wonderful.. could anyone actually save the transcriptions before they took it down and repost up here??

20. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    Yeah, I missed this!