Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Scott Shriner of Weezer

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Airsick Pilot, Aug 8, 2003.

1. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    I did a search on Scott to find out what you guys think about him but the last time his name was mentioned on this board was around 12 months ago. Now that Scott's been in Weezer for quite awhile, what do you guys think of him. I'm a huge weezer fan and personally I think he's Weezer's best bassist.

2. I don't like Weezer, so I'm going to help very much.:rolleyes:

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    :bag: weezer are bad.

4. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    The man knows what he's talking about :D

.. the naysayers! :ninja:

Oh yeah, Scott played on Maladroit.

Edit: Btw, I don't see the relevance of the other two posts in this thread :rolleyes:

5. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    Noone holds a candle to Matt Sharp.

6. kaboom133

kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    i think every weezer bassist has had his own special quirk that made him good. scott is no exeption. i saw them in concert shortly after he joined up, and i was amazed. his playing(live at least) carries so much energy. while maladroit is deffinetly not one of my favorite weezer albums, the bass on it was great. he seems like a good solid player. i can't wait for future releases.

7. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    I agree with Kaboom. I loved Matt's falsettos and he has a knack of create simple but very memorable basslines like Only In Dreams and Tired of Sex.

I don't know what Mikey's special strengths are. The stuff he played on The Green Album are decent and if its a testament to his true playing abilities then I'd say he's no more than an average bassist. His stage presence was good too. Apart from that I can't say much about him.

I have some of the Maladroit demos and quite a number of live Weezer vids Scott blows me away with his tasteful playing and improvisations.

8. kaboom133

kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    i don't know about everyone else, but for me at least, mikey's strength was all in his tone, it was just beautiful imo. he was really fun to watch play also. he might not have written the most intricate lines for the songs or anything, but what he wrote worked very well.

9. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    "I don't know what Mikey's special strengths are. "

Umm, screwing up cushy gigs?

aw, c'mon, I kid. I kid Mikey. I'm a Bostonian, it's what we do. We used to actually share a rehearsal space for a while and he mistakenly sold a bass cabinet that was not, in fact, his (not to nitpick, but it was another person's cabinet). Interesting guy. He sorted it out, though. I'd say his main talents as a bassist are looking pretty cool with a bass around his neck and knowing exactly what to say to 16 year old girls.