Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

!!! SCOTT THACHUK DESIGNS !!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MODNY, Oct 8, 2005.

What are your opinions on this bass?

Poll closed Oct 15, 2005.
  1. Its ok, but not that great

56.9%
  2. I really like it, where can i get one?

40.3%
  3. I love it, i want one, NOW! !GAS !GAS !GAS!

1.4%
  4. I hate it, its ugly

1.4%
  1. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    Hey Everyone,

My Friends brother is an aspiring bass luthiers, apprenticing under one of canada's best. Mike Spicer.

This is just a sample of some of the work he has done, and can do..

Specs include: 34' scale length, 24 frets(fretless), alder body with walnut top, curly maple neck with ebony fingerboard and matching heel , semi hollow design, custom ebony bridge with piezo pickup and custom hand made jazz pickup

this bass plays like a dream, the Low B slams, and its only a 34 " scale! the piezo and magnetics blended together sound awesome! this is definetly a players bass,and for far less than most other boutique basses.

I would like to get some comments from you guys on this instrument! thanks!

If you have any other questions contact : ericthachuk@cogeco.ca

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

more pics of the back to follow!

2. I like it, but i cant see myself running out to buy one.

3. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    cool bass, but two jazz pickups would be nice :)

4. Looks nice. I'd buy that for a dollar.

5. I like it, but I would either admit to totally copying F-Bass' bridge design or slightly alter the outline to make it more your own.

Edit:What does the toggle switch do?

6. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Looks nice. It has a kind of elegance in the wood choices that I appreciate. For my tastes, though, the thumb rest is lame. Not just because I don't like thumb rests, period (though I don't), but because the placement is limiting. For those who do use rests, there's nowhere to rest between the PU and the end of the FB. It seems the assumption is that you would only play close to the bridge, but if so, that's IMO a bad assumption. However, this is a minor point in relation to the whole bass, which looks nice.

7. I wonder if you could embed a fairly strong magnet in the top- say, 1/8" below the surface & place a piece of steel similarly in the thumbrest, thereby making it moveable as per the player's preference.

8. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Sure, maybe ... but I guess what I was saying was that IMO it's pointless pick one position or the other, that is, to restrict yourself to either close to the neck or close to the FB. IOW, on this bass, given the PU placement, two thumb rests (or a rail) or no thumb rests (I vote none).

9. Makes sense(I hadn't looked too hard at first)- I was just thinking out loud. I personally don't really like the looks of most TR's, but appreciate their usefulness(for me). I'm having a f/less 7 built right now, & I'm having the fingerboard made extra-long to serve as a rest. The single magnetic PU will be somewhat towards the bridge, so I should have a good variety of 'resting' positions available.

Edit:I did not vote; the available options do not reflect my true feelings: I like the bass & want to encourage a fellow aspiring builder, but don't wish to convey a desire to buy one. I could go for an endorsement deal, though. :D Keep up the nice work.

10. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    the toggle switch switches between magnet, piezo, or both, and then you an blend

the thumb rest is there because that was made for a customer and requested the thumb res to be placed there. also, the customer supplied taht bridge, it actually is an old F bass bridge, aswell as the single J pickup.

11. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    I can see the use of a thumbrest in the bridge position on a bass without a bridge p/u. I have a thumbrest on my eda in the bridge p/u position almost exactly like the bass in the pic's. I would usually agree in having no thumbrest but in this case i definately see why it was done that way. Nice looking bass!
    Peace

12. The above sheds light on everything. The customer is always right, eh? ;)

13. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    exactly

i'm pretty sure you could get one made you your specs, in general..

like i dont think he is gonna carve the neck to your exact hand shape or anything..

but the bass was made for a very happy customer, and personally i think that the thumbrest is in an awkward position, but, hey, the dude wanted it there, so thats all that matters. customer service!

14. Id like it alot more if it had two MM pups in it.

15. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Looks to me that he is on the right track. Nice work to be sure.

16. looks great imo! id have to agree about the TR, but like you say - customer service!

wouldn't mind hearing a clip... :)

17. bassedsouth

bassedsouth

Dec 2, 2004
    bassedsouth
    Looks like a nice bass , a full frontal pic showing headstock properly & a back pic would be nice !

18. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    i know i know, i ragged on scott for this
    but its thanksgiving weekend ere in canada so everyone is busy, this week for sure! we need some back shots too, matching back plates!!

19. From what I can tell, the headstock resembles a Yammy TRB's. But I could be wrong...

20. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    i like the design, maybe a more sleek output jack and toggle switch but other than that its pretty.