Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Scott Thunes Interivew I don't get it?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by kalo, Aug 13, 2003.

1. kalo

kalo

Jul 29, 2003
    I don't know how I found this article about Scott Thunes, but I did and frankly, after reading it I felt that he should lighten up a little. Maybe, I am young and don't understand where he is coming from, but I just don't understand his attitude about not wanting to be called a bass player and how he has given up bass.

He states that bass players are the morons in a band especially if one is playing rock...I am sorry, but this article kind of pissed me off.

:meh:

IF anyone is interested in reading this interview his is the website address and I would LOVE your comments because maybe I am not understanding where he is coming from.

Also, I am a guitarist turned bass player and I am TOTALLY happy being the moron in any band...

http://www.cidanka.nl/keneally/stbp0397.htm

2. Bazzist

Bazzist

Dec 7, 2002
    Nova Scotia
    Im sorry i dont know who this guy is but i read the atricle and i think hes ridiculous. His "visonary" approach to bass is that bassist are just tools used to play wut the band wants.

3. kalo

kalo

Jul 29, 2003
    Bazzist, I am glad I am not the only one that thinks he is riduclus.

Scott Thunes used to play in Frank Zappa's band and now works as a doorman at a club and is going on to getting a degree in computers. I totally dislike his vibe and maybe he is right to quite playing bass.

4. Jonesy4fnk

Jonesy4fnk Supporting Member

I suggest you listen to his playing rather than his remarks.

Zappa's - "Does Humor Belong in Music" is a great start.

5. kalo

kalo

Jul 29, 2003
    Jonsey,

I am SURE Scott's planning is amazing, however, his attitude is jaded, and of course that is my opinion. To give up playing bass and work as a doorman is "sad", and to basically say that bass players are moron's is a stupid thing to say. Did you read his interview? He is probably an amazing player but his attitude for me has yet to be desired...I don't get it...

6. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Bingo.

And, BTW, Scott Thunes was always thought to be a little "over the top." In fact, most of the rest of Zappa's band didn't really like him. They went to Frank to ask him to fire Scott, and replace him. Frank refused. When it became evident that the rest of the band couldn't work with Thunes like adults (they went so far as to scrape his name off of a cake presented after a show), Frank dissolved the ENITRE band as opposed to firing Thunes.

So, no less an authority than Frank Zappa thought Thunes was important enough that he didn't want to carry on performing live without him. So, as long as he's not torturing puppies, or running people over, I'll care more about what he did with his hands than what came out of his mouth.

7. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    His playing is amazing and he's entitled to his opinions... Definitely a man of convictions and known to be a difficult interview, not to mention bandmate :)

-robert

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    That's "Rock" bass players.
    ;)

IIRC, Thunes said-
    "If you're a bass player in a Rock band, you are, by definition, a moron".

Maybe it's me; I found that pretty funny.
    (And, yes, I am a moron. No big deal, either).
    To say his attitude is 'jaded' is quite an understatement.
    ;)

Wasn't it Dave Navarro who said 'Funk is mindless & makes one stupid'?
    My take? None of these guys are Coltrane or Bird or Ornette...so don't take what they say as 'Gospel'.

9. kalo

kalo

Jul 29, 2003
    I understand that he is awesome, but isn't attitude everything!!! Sometimes attitude is more important then how over the top someone can be. And to think all that talent wasted because he isn't playing bass anymore.

I could never imagine not playing or giving up bass playing or guitar for that matter.

10. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Someone (I forgot who) described him as having "zero tolerance for bullsh!t", which can be good for creating art, but usually makes for bad social or people skills.

11. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Cry not for Scott Thunes. He's a big boy. If he wants to play bass/man a door/work with computers, that's his business. It just leaves one less talented guy trying to get a bass job that I might want. :D

12. Jonesy4fnk

Jonesy4fnk Supporting Member

IMO - attitude is not everything. Who ever said musicians had to be like-able? I think that's part of his view about rock music. He's chosen his own path and his own way to get there. But the fact remains his work speaks for itself and that's all he wants you to know.

13. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    The only thing I had a problem with was his comment that drummers are above bass players. We all know that's not true, right?

;)

14. He's a guy with some intense views about music; I can deal with that. Nothing he said really bothered or offended me - he actually downplayed a lot of his talents and contributions in the interview. I thought he was a lot less provocative than a JB or AJ. ;)

Still, I can see why many of his bandmates didn't get along with him. He definitely did not fit in the L.A. music scene of the 80's.

15. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Check out Zappa's 'The Best Band You Never Heard'!
    It's the band Zappa broke up for being a bunch of babies.......Scott can play!!!!! The music business is very tough, and if more guys told the truth.....they would say a lot of the same things.
    Scott's got a sense of humor, I'm sure the bassplayers are morons was with a wink & a nod;)

16. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Wow,, personally I agree with a lot he said. I find it very refreshing that he compares his bass playing to "crude folk art",, he's certainly not egotistical about his playing at least,, perhaps his views on music and (rock) bassists are *ahem*, a BIT opinionated,, but he's not the only one,, as others have already mentioned.

17. kalo

kalo

Jul 29, 2003
    Well, I think I am glad I am NOT in the music industry, and is highly unfair. Not to mention dealing with other musicians can be tuff.

But too me I like playing in my room along to my CD's and being in the moment! Maybe if I had experienced what Scott has I would feel the same, but I thank God I am inconnet to all that crap, and as much as I would like to play with other in a band and so forth I am happy that I can continue my bass studies and at least learn something worth while and still be happy.

Bass and guitar playing is my identity because I am mostly practicing 24/7. And I am not practing to be a famous or Technical musicians, bass player, moron, or whatever one calls it, I am playing for the LOVE of playing.

I work a 8 hour job and when I go home I play my bass. So, I guess everyone is different...

18. mbeall

mbeall

Jun 25, 2003
    Actually in the context of a rock band I would have to agree with that one. No one will derail a groove and clear the dance floor faster than a bad drummer. If the drummer sucks I won't play.

Just my two cents.

Mike

19. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    First let me start off by saying that I think his playing is superb.

Now: I had the opportunity to meet Mr. Thunes at a Zappa gig several years ago. NOT a nice person at all. I was taken back by the fact that such an awesome player had such a SH**Y personality!!

That's all I'll say!!!

20. kalo

kalo

Jul 29, 2003
    Onyx,

Thank YOU!!! That is the statement I was trying to make. I don't personally know Mr. Thunes, but I was not condeming his playing as I was commenting on how confusing I was about his attitude in that article.

I TRULY believe that attitude is everything, and I believe that attitude is what MAKES a GREAT bass player. It's not how technical or how over the top a bass player is when playing. To me it is getting to the gigs on time, being a good support role to the other musicians, and coming up with a good groove and then BEING a cool person when someone comes up to say hi to you, and acknowledging your talents. Also, getting along with your band mates is also helpful.

Music should be about expressing oneself and having fun with it, and obivously Mr. Thunes doesn't feel the same way or else he wouldn't have quite playing in lieu of working as a door man at night club.