Scott Thunes sound

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Texx, Dec 14, 2005.

1. Texx

Sep 10, 2004
    Just saw a clip of Zappa´s Barcelona show with Scott Thunes having this great P-Bass sound. Is this the sound of flats??
  2. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    I belive Scott uses Roundwounds, with a pick?
  3. PhR

Dec 13, 2005
    Right. I remember reading that he always wanted the same sound Tom Fowler had on "Roxy & Elsewhere": a Precision played with a pick. During his first tours with Zappa Scott used a two pickup Carvin but was satisfied when he got his Precision.
    I think I have seen the Barcelona show too(1988?) and he also used a flanger most of the time.
    rtav likes this.
  4. darkblack99

darkblack99 Supporting Member

5. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Thunes rocks - I love his liberal application of duct tape on his P bass too.
  6. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Interesting, I always thought the bass sound on "Valley Girl" was awesome. I take it it he was using a guitar amp or did Vox also make bass amps?
  7. darkblack99

darkblack99 Supporting Member

Since 1967. Although whether it was a Vox amp, or a Vox cab with some other amp...?

Even more interesting, from the trainspotting perspective...

8. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Are you sure you're not talking about Patrick O'Hearn? O'Hearn's the one with duct tape on his P's, looks like he's taped on a bridge pickup or some sort of makeshift ramp.
  9. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    ****e, maybe I've lost it? I just watched the 'Does Humor Belong' dvd recently...pretty sure that's Thunes but I could be confusing the duct tape thing. I read a cool interview once w/ Zappa and he was talking about the bassists....he said Thunes was the only one he ever gave 'cart blanche' to. So he bascially let him do whatever he wanted on stage - a pretty rare move for Francesco.
  10. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I'll have to check my videos with Thunes again too, but I know that O'Hearn has mucho duct tape on both his fretted and fretless P's. It looks like an extra pickup taped on in front of the bridge, and there's a couple of extra knobs added onto it also. I've asked about these mods in a few different forums but never got any replies.

Slight thread hijack: Does anyone know what mods Patrick O'Hearn has done to his Precisions, with the duct-taped in (pickup?) and the extra knobs?
  11. Bump.

Wondering if anyone has more detail about achieving this tone. Specifically the sound during the 1988 tour. Its such a rich, round wonderful tone. And unlike any P bass tone I've ever heard.

Round wound or flat wound? He uses both a pick and fingers so theres variation.

Amp, cab?

Zoot allures probably provides the most clear example of his tone that I can think of off hand...

Broadway the hardway, the best band you never heard in your life, make a jazz noise here are albums where it can be heard.
  12. bigcatJC

Jul 9, 2004
    Just a guess, but I think it helps to pick close to the bridge. Never seen any video with Thunes, but that's how it always sounded to me.
  13. I think you're right about that. A lot of the bigger guys tend to do that, in my observation.