1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Scott Walker, anyone?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Crg2, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Crg2

Crg2

Feb 9, 2012
    I know that he isn't known as a bassist, but that's what he set out to be.

All he wanted as an adolescent was to "make great music, with great drummers. That's a bass player's dream".

He is considered to be one of the first to play the new Fender bass, and, as a kid, played the Fender bass on sessions in Los Angeles.

When it came time for me to switch to bass, the fact that as creative and iconoclastic a musician as Scott Walker was, at core, a bass player, was the tipping point.

His unruly compositions, his ability to confound expectations, his amazing songwriting, his lyrics-all of it the work of a guy who started out wanting to be a great bassist.

To me, Scott Walker demonstrates what great things can come from the bassist's mindset. Even if he isn't playing much bass any more, this isn't the direction in which your average ex-shred guitarist travels.

Any love?

If you are not familiar:

He's the singing bassist here:

2. Curmei

Curmei

Dec 29, 2008
    I am a fan of Walker - from his Walker Brothers days, up to today. I prefer his experimental/modern work, but generally, just enjoy his creative approach.

3. kesh

kesh

Jul 9, 2012
    Brighton, England
    I am a big fan. Big Louise and The Electrician are probably favourites of mine.

4. Crg2

Crg2

Feb 9, 2012
    Yes!! It's that approach. Like McCartney during his Stockhausen obsession, or Adam Yauch, amazing musical ideas seem to come from the Bassist.

5. Crg2

Crg2

Feb 9, 2012
    Someone needs to re-release "Nite Flights".

6. Curmei

Curmei

Dec 29, 2008
    I think it was re-released at some point in the 90s. Probably out of print again at this point. Seems like it would be in the wheelhouse for someone like Gira and Young God, but with digital being what it is, there probably isn't much upside - in the business sense - to investing in something like that.

7. Crg2

Crg2

Feb 9, 2012
    Unfortunately, Michael Gira has limited all new Young God releases to new Swans material starting this year.

4AD could really put a feather in their cap by releasing it in some form, though!

8. Curmei

Curmei

Dec 29, 2008
    Shows how much I've been following :)

9. fishstix

fishstix

Feb 28, 2006
    Wisconsin
    Ha, you had me for a moment. I thought this was about to get political (thankfully not), as I'm from WI.

10. Lol I was thinking that too (and so am I!)

11. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Lakland Artist Endorser
    Please tell me he's not a bass player, it's my last refuge:help:

12. Crg2

Crg2

Feb 9, 2012
    Sorry, should have been clear. We're discussing Noel Scott Engel, who was born outside of Cincinnati, took the stage name "Scott Walker", and has lived in England for most of his life-Not that Scott Walker.

I don't think that Wisconsin Scott Walker has any soul, so, no, probably not a bassist.

13. Crg2

Crg2

Feb 9, 2012
    Naw-I think that that is a very new decision. If you've ever tried to say "hi" to Michael Gira in person, you'd find that, for all of his admirable qualities, he's what I'd euphemistically call "moody".

Could you imagine how great it would be to see the cover of "Nite Flights" re-done in that uniform Young God style and font?

14. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Which is quite surprising, considering the happy uptempo positive-vibes nature of his music.

15. Curmei

Curmei

Dec 29, 2008
    Heh - I've met him a few times, once backstage after a show on the Soundtracks tour, where he just glared at me :)

I never saw any real early Swans shows - first tour I saw them on was TGA - but from what I hear, he is much more pleasant these days than back in the Filth/COG days.

First time I heard Walker, I thought he was the original Gira. If anything, Walker's a bit more experimental with his soundscapes than Swans have been.

I did check out the YG site, after you updated me. Looking forward to the new album they mention there.

Apologies for the Swans heavy post in your Walker thread, but thanks for the new info.

16. Crg2

Crg2

Feb 9, 2012
    Awww, heck no. I've got every Swans Young God release. I have friends with original vinyl. I was front row center last year (with ear plugs). I'm a full-on excitable Swans fan!

I'd love to finally find two other people with whom to form a Velvets/Swans/Jandek-influenced band. I'm all about the cathartic roar.

By the way, Michael Gira began Swans as the bassist, so it "counts".

17. Curmei

Curmei

Dec 29, 2008
    If you're in NC, would be happy to jam :)

I had Circus Mort on vinyl at one point. Not sure where it got to, at this point. I do have a couple Walker Brothers albums on vinyl.

18. MKA

MKA

Apr 14, 2012
    Northern Europe
    Scott Walker is a great artist, I have always really liked his late 60s solo albums. I think this is one groovy bassline from his album "Scott 4" (1969):

Not my kind of tone at all, but suits that song really well I think :cool:

19. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies!

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    I am a huge Scott fan. Discovered him just out of high school. I couldn't believe how progressive and forward thinking his late 60's and early 70's music was. I really deeply got into his music when climate of hunter came out. Great album.
    And how many vocalists has he influenced? Ferry, Bowie, Sylvian.....
    I listen to some Scott almost every day as he is on heavy rotation on my iPod.
    I am working on a version of Shut Out from Night Flight.
    I have some of the other Walker members stuff, but without Scott would They have ever made a mark?