Scott Whitley SWB-1 short scale bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by piccolo_whitley, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Hi!

I won't go into the full story, but after a number of fruitless attempts to have companies like Richwood, Farida etc. take some great (imho lol) design ideas for a short scale bass on board I took the plunge and had it built myself by the legendary UK luthier Brian Eastwood.

I'm completely delighted with how it's turned out and the more unusual concepts work really well too :)

Check it out here... http://youtu.be/U7B-BkFKaTk

[​IMG]

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t1/1514544_656315394391696_1283910652_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1526530_656317017724867_883406728_n.jpg

2. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt

Sep 20, 2000
    Nashville,TN
    Endorsing Artist: Kiesel, Carvin, Accuracy, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    Nice bass! :)

3. Thanks Roy!

4. aussietc

aussietc

Apr 14, 2010
    Scott! What can I say ... brilliant! Love it!
    What an amazing tone!
    Is it 30" scale?

5. aussietc

aussietc

Apr 14, 2010
    Also, are you using stainless or nickel Roto strings?

6. What a honey! Simply beautiful - may this bass bring you hours and hours of joy and happiness!

BassHappy
    www.innertainment.net

7. THAT is one BEAUTIFUL bass! It must be because I never use that many caps.

8. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Very beautiful.

9. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    Nice bass. Anyone here tried it? The Chowney version I mean. Curious about the reviews.

10. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Eastwood Guitars, CHC Guitars, GHS strings

It's funny, I was just looking at those two days ago. Considering ordering one myself. I think the next delivery date for them is June or July.

Les Fret likes this.
  11. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    I might be interested in one too since I want a short scale with 24 frets to tune as a tenor bass. I am using my Fender urge 1 (32" scale) for that now. There are very little options if you want a 24 fret short scale or mediums scale bass. Only Alembic as far as I know. So the SWB is sort of a poor mans Alembic for me.

I have some hesitation however about ordering a bass unplayed. And also because I am not sure if I prefer a medium or short scale. Not sure if you can excess all frets easily? since the body already starts at the 20th fret or so I think the high frets cannot be reached easily. Also I want to know for sure if the bass is absolutely quiet? No hum or hiss from the active electronics?

I like the look of the bass although I don't like the Rickenbacker style headstock. It doesn't fit the design (for me).

12. Ordered an active Ash model from Andertons today....looking forward to getting my hands on it. Have recently reverted to shorties via purchasing a Dano Longhorn after many years of playing standard scale Fenders. My back and arthritic joints are thanking me already....

Les Fret likes this.
  13. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    ok, let us know what you think when you have it!

14. Unfortunately, it's now not going to happen. Andertons can't/won't ship outside the EU as there's an issue with exporting Rosewood materials outside the EU. Order cancelled. C'est la vie.

15. @sparkyness
    I'd suggest trying again after summer. Talk is the fretboard will be changed to ebony due to the worldwide ban on rosewood exports.

sparkyness likes this.
  16. Yeah. Will keep an eye out. Will happily keep playing my Dano for the time being.

17. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

Love it. What is the top wood? Dang that's beautiful and sounds great. Great playing btw also. :thumbsup:

18. Chicago Al

Chicago Al

Jan 30, 2008
    You can order direct from Chowny! I started a thread some months back asking about user experiences with this bass, ordered one and (after some delays including the CITES rosewood issue) now have it. I love it and so do others who are reviewing theirs.

Scott Whitley SWB-1