Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Scottish Band's First Gig

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Johnny BoomBoom, Nov 11, 2003.

1. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    OK, this isn't likely to affect many of you.....but I thought I might as well shout about it!!!!

Our band - The Chase have their first gig with the new line up on 18th November. We are playing in the 13th Note Cafe, King Street in Glasgow.

Anyone in the vicinity who is not doing something less boring is cordially invited to come along!

It's £3 at the door, but fear not, there are 2 other bands playing, so even if you don't like us......there's a good chance you will still be entertained!

It's been 2 years since our last gig, 4 for the 'new' guitarist and this is our drummer's debut gig!

Thanks for looking!:)

Mods - If this is the wrong place, please feel free to mve it to somewhere appropriate. I just felt that as there was a musical link in the thread I'd post here!

2. Jonny

All the best with the gig from south of the boarder. Don't forget to give us a review when its over and you have returned to planet earth.

Regards

Matthew

:bassist:

3. Hey Johnny I'll see what I can do!

Just bought another Gisbon so I'm flat out broke :cool:

Is it an all-ages gig?

4. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    Good luck from across the pond, i hafta get a band together again and get gigging.

5. Johnny BoomBoom

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Thanks guys!

Microbass - I have this sneaking suspicion that it'll be anover 18s place.....sorry. I could be wrong though!

6. tboyd

tboyd

Sep 10, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Have fun Johnny, wish I could be there. Have a Calder's Cream on me. Man, I miss that beer!

7. Johnny BoomBoom

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Thanks! Oooh, Calder's Cream - haven't had that in ages!:)

8. ok John, tear down the house all the same man.

have a blast and blow 'em away!!! :)

9. H'mm....... Mars Volta on Wednesday evening vs. JBB on Tuesday evening.......

It's a bit of a trek just for one band though....... (in both cases.... damn Glasgow gigs......)

Especially damn Glasgow gigs, my bass teacher is playing a jazz gig *right now* and I really want to be there. Oh well.

Sorry man, but I won't be able to make it *this time* Play Edinburgh, dammit!

10. Arrgh i've just read this a day to late!!!.
    I spent last night watching Holby bloody City and all the other Tuesday night TV guff.:bawl:

Anyways, How'd it go sir?.

11. Johnny BoomBoom

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Don't worry! Looks like we pulled it off well enough to get a Saturday night Strawberry Fields gig!

Thoroughly enjoyed the night! 2 other bands were on, and we actually got to play last!!!! I know it's not quite headlining, but it was fun!

Took along the Ashdown head and the Mini48! The other bassists used that and seemed quite happy with the sound, and the sound guy DI'd from the amp and from my SansAmp - and seemed pretty happy with the sound! Wish I'd had room in the car to take along the Mini15, as my 'rig' was just about the same size as the guitarists various combos!

The other bands were pretty good, the first band - December (apparently one of the many called December) had a really good girl singer. The rest of the band were tight, very tight - but I thought with 2 guitarists we might have got 1 or 2 solos!

The second band - Wide Awake - were very technically proficient, I mean really good musician wise, and they were all about 19, but their performance lacked something in the stage prescence and interest sides - although the guitarist did pull off some good (but mostly emotionless solos). Their basist was this young skinny lad that could really play though - got me a bit unsettled!

Anyway, had a great night, but am real sleepy now - need caffeine!

Ahhh, what a buzz playing live really is!

12. Congratulations on what sounds like a great gig.

Matthew

13. Johnny BoomBoom

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Thank you!

We've just received our first gig photo....see attached! Not great, but it's a start!

14. Johnny BoomBoom

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Here's another - bit blurry and smoeky though

15. Johnny

Now we can see you!!:D
    [​IMG]

Matthew

16. Johnny BoomBoom

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

.....oops!

Thakns for the re-sizing and JBB specific cropping..... Hadn't realised how big they were gonna turn out...:oops:

17. Hi Johnny.

Well, how did it go? Trust you had a great time as well as entertaining the punters.

BTW, the bassist in your band looks a real hard case. :eek: So that must be you on lead vocals..............;)

John

18. Johnny BoomBoom

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

It went real well! Had a good chat to the pormoter afterwards.....he's keen to get us inot another venue - Strawberry Fields - on a Saturday night! So that should be a laugh!

It was funny as he was trying to categorise our music, after the first song, he'd pigeon holed us, then we played the second - he scored out his first idea, and jotted down something else.....then we played out third, and ran it into the fourth.....he scribblked out his notes on that too....

So, even he found it hard to categorise us - finally agreed on rock/heavy rock like I'd suggested to him, but he's happy with the mix in our music to put us on with a few categories of band!

Looks can be deceptive.....the singer is my g/f, and I do as I am told

;) :eek: