1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

scotts bass lessons?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by daveyo, Sep 14, 2017.

1. daveyo

daveyo

Nov 6, 2013
    I am new here

2. daveyo

daveyo

Nov 6, 2013
    Anyone use Scott for lessons online?
    Is it worth it?
    How much does it cost?

3. It is worth it. There are numerous resources you don't get from the free videos such as workbooks, excercises, access to full courses in sequential order, printouts, live chats with Scott and his staff to ask questions, love chats with seminar guests, not to mention the live seminars and master classes. I have been a member for over a week so far but have followed their mailing list for over a year. I can say that so far I am actually learning quite a bit just by going thru the beginner and intro courses in order correcting bad habits and picking up on things I forgot or missed such as basic theory, reading and other skills. They basically have courses on every single thing you could ever think of for bass well worth it. Sign up for the mailing list and wait for one of the sales it will go on sale for half off for a year or what I did was one year for 99 bucks instead of the 180. Highly recommend it the resources and depth of coursework and subject matter is amazing. I feel like almost all of the subject is presebt or comparable if you were to buy almost every book on theory, technique, groove, or any other subject you can muster and growing every day. I get emails every day talking about upcoming courses, seminars and new videos. They even have instructional on how to maximize your practice time, how to maintain proper focus during practice time, the importance of a practice log, as well as showing your stuff and your log to the forum so people, instructors and other players can recommend how to better improve your plan or other things to study while you are going through certain course work. Probably the best bass resource for learning on the Web if you put in the time.

Get it you won't regret it.

By the way they do one off straps every now and then (hand made very high quality leather straps that are retarded comfy). I have tried quite a few expensive straps and nothing really felt comfortable or helped with my neck dive on my warwick neck thru 6 string 13 pound beast. Bought one of his handmade leather straps that are 3.75 inch wide. It is easily one of the best made straps I've bought and the most comfortable. Even my guitar player who has felt all the other straps I've had with my bass said the scotts strap made a subtantial difference in the feel and comfort of holding the bass. He said it feels way more manageable and could see holding it longer than before. The kicker was it was only 120 bucks. He said to get one for him when they do another run. So signing up for the mailing list has multiple perks besides waiting for a sale on membership.

I am not affiliated in any way I just really appreciate the community and the wealth of information and resources he offers thru his site. It really is one of a kind.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  4. aaronious

aaronious Supporting Member

May 23, 2011
    Denver CO
    Yes. Worth every penny.

JoeyMashed, Skeptismo and Ikkir like this.
  5. Any learning is only worth as much as the time you devote to it.
    Personally I think Scott talks too much.

Scoops, Bassdirty, baTassi and 24 others like this.
  6. packrat

packrat Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2017
    Sydney, Australia
    It is a great resource with a lot of content but it is not as structured as something like Ariane's bass theory course which I highly recommend as a great bootstrap to get more out of the content on SBL.

Scott talks a lot on the little 10 minute snapshot videos that are mostly destined fir YouTube but not in the coursework which is really dense. SBL has a good mix.

B>

Zon master, idoker and Inara like this.
  7. I've got the free trial thingee, and it appears to be very worthwhile. Unfortunately, my work/gigging schedule does not allow me to pursue it fully at this time. Dang.

8. hondo4life

hondo4life

Feb 29, 2016
    SC
    Yes, Scott's Bass Lessons is excellent.
    You at least need to do the free trial.

9. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    It's def worth it for a year at least. Gives you a really good idea of what is out there to learn.

After a year I did not renew though. Felt that it was starting to go in circles and that one-on-one lessons, focusing on what I want to learn, would be more beneficial.

10. FantasticFour

FantasticFour

Dec 14, 2013
    Europeland
    I agree, it's totally worth trying a year and then decide if it's for you or not.
    You'll definitely find material for more than your money's worth.

11. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    I did the lifetime membership. Definitely worth it, IMHO.

12. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    I get lots of good out of the free SBL stuff that's all over youtube. I would say that the full meal deal is the best way to go for the ultimate learning experience, but be honest about your ability to time commit. If your time is only sufficient to digest the free stuff, then your decision is a pretty obvious one (sorry Scott...). The no charge youtube SBL media is only the McNugets, while the paid subscription is the whole chicken and then some.

Someone local that is good a instructor would be worth checking into. Just gotta watch out, there are guitar instructors who "also teach bass". It's usually a different learning experience if you go to a bass instructor who plays bass primarily and professionally. Bass Player's bring the funk!

Heavy Blue, Bass V and Zon master like this.
  13. MVE

MVE

Aug 8, 2010
    Damn your link!!!
    You just made me revive a zombie thread. lol

I started reading and inadvertently replied to something from Nov of 2014. Unfortunately, my response make no sense in this thread.

I'll go now... ;/ carry on.

14. Dwight Trash

Dwight Trash

Oct 14, 2015
    Perris CA
    I'm glad to see so much positive feedback on SBL. I've watched tons of the ftee stuff and I concur, damned good stuff!
    Besides having learned all I could that was offered in school since 4th grade, I attended a one year bass course(name of course omitted intentionally). I was there every day and ate, drank and slet everything bass. No regrets.
    Can you devote enough time and do you have the self discipline to follow through?
    My father was born in England, can you stand to listen to Scott talk lol?

15. Inara

Inara Fierce Fun Fretless Female

Jun 12, 2017
    Seattle, WA USA
    I joined a couple of months ago. I've played for a good long while, but I have some gaps (don't we all!) especially around theory and certain technical issues. It's very much worth it to me! I haven't been active as much recently, as I had some health issues, a left hand injury, overtime at work, and lots of tunes to learn for a new band. Hoping to get back to the practice routine and the goals / coursework I've outlined in my practice log on SBL very soon.

packrat likes this.
  16. ToP fan

ToP fan

Mar 28, 2010
    Waterloo, Ontario
    Lifetime membership here- worth every penny!!

Dave

17. Hammerfield

Hammerfield

Aug 1, 2016
    Argentina
    Now Jeff Berlin is doing a couple of pack lesson for all levels of playing, i dont know if is it good, but the guy is a leyend, and he knows his theory and i find his method very interesting! Its an alternative

Mechanical likes this.
  18. stringthrough

stringthrough Supporting Member

I drop in from time to time and grab an idea. I don't pay for it, I just view what he posts on Youtube. Seems informative, and is WAY better than not taking lessons and going about learning the bass on your own.

This instructor is also very good, DK Marlowe, especially if you want to play funk and get into slapping, and he'll sell you his instruction on a DVD. . .

MarloweDK - PlayBassNow.com

If you want to learn finger funk and some blues and jazz at an effect yet slow pace, this guy is very good (don't know his name). . .

Real Bass Lessons

I check this guy out occasionally - Andy Irvine. His Youtube page is filled with equipment reviews and some performances *** AND *** some instruction which occasionally get pretty intense. . .

Andy Irvine

And finally, this funk jam by Frank Itt has been instructive and inspirational to me. . .

Heavy Blue likes this.
  19. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    It's great.
    I bought myself the lifetime membership as a birthday present a couple of years ago. So much good stuff in there, and he adds to it all the time.
    Def. worth the money.