Scrambler, Classic Analog Pre, VT DI or Driver DI?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by funkyfishies, Nov 12, 2017.

1. funkyfishies

funkyfishies

Nov 11, 2017
    I'm looking for a more gritty tube-saturated tone à la SVT for recording purposes, but I'm not sure where to look.

On the one hand, I know Tech 21's DIs are well liked, but I already have a DI output with a pre/post switch on my amp, a GK 700 RB, and a Sadowsky SPB-1 Preamp/DI. Getting a third DI seems redundant, no? I also used to have a VT Bass Deluxe, and I hated it—it was too bright.

I've heard good things about Ampeg's Scrambler and Classic Analog Pre pedals, but how good can a CAD$129 pedal be? Are they quiet? Reliable? Which of the two will give me a gritty tube-saturated tone?

Are there any other preamps or overdrive pedals I should be looking into?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    The Classic is an EQ and won't add any dirt. I like all the other pedals you named off and have a VT Deluxe (I don't find it bright when you cut the treble to 9:00 or 10:00), but something about the Scrambler's extreme touch sensitivity and lack of compression keeps me going for it most of all. Not everyone loves it, but I do. I find it as quiet as any other dirt pedals and very reliable.

funkyfishies likes this.
  3. funkyfishies

funkyfishies

Nov 11, 2017
    I've read a post—I think it was from you—saying the Scrambler sounds close to an overdriven SVT. That said, I'm worried it won't give me an vintage SVT-like sound given my more modern rig. What do you think?

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I think it does. It's not an exact duplication, of course, but I think it does. You may not, however. Pedals are odd like that.

funkyfishies likes this.
  5. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    I'm mostly a clean player and find the Tech 21 pedals do a great job of getting tones/voicing in the neighborhood you're looking for, especially in a band mix and/or when fed to FOH.

That said, when it comes to something delivering realistic, believable Ampeg sounds, I would trust JimmyM's calibrated ear for that over most anyone else.

Kro, funkyfishies and JimmyM like this.
  6. funkyfishies

funkyfishies

Nov 11, 2017
    Thank you for your input. I'm also mostly a clean player. I'm just looking to add a tiny bit of grit. I wasn't interested in the Scramble at first, but I read a post—again, I think it was from JimmyM—saying the Ampeg could also do that.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    Al Kraft and JimmyM like this.