1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Scratch and dent Sweetwater

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Littleblueize, May 17, 2019 at 7:22 AM.

1. Littleblueize

Littleblueize

Friday
    hi,
    I am looking into purchasing a Hofner Violin Bass from Sweetwater, it’s advertised as a dent and scratch.... is this the same thing as B stock? Anyone had any experience purchasing one of these dent and scratch items from them? Thanks!

2. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    B stock can mean different things to different people. To me, B stock means it has some deficiency. Scratch and dent means what it says. It is actually immaterial. Sweetwater is a goo company to do business with. i'd call and talk to a rep and find out what the damage is and make a decision from there. I do know if you aren't happy with it, they will gladly take a return.

3. LeSonyr

LeSonyr Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Yes. And it was not good. I ordered a scratch-and-dent Hofner Violin bass from Sweetwater. It arrived with a back bowed neck and a frozen truss rod. I asked them how this could happen given their "55-point inspection". They said that they don't inspect guitars under $300. They took it back, of course.

Don't get me wrong, I like Sweetwater. This is just FYI re: their less expensive stuff.

4. Rallypoint_1

Rallypoint_1 Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2010
    Pasadena, California
    They don’t inspect guitars under $300?? That’s not cool!!

5. Littleblueize

Littleblueize

Friday
    They are supposed to be sending me pictures momentarily.....

6. HumbuckerFlats

HumbuckerFlats

Mar 20, 2019
    I bought the Scratch and Dent Hofner Ignition Bass with the customized teacup knobs and the La Bella flats, for the price it's a pretty good bass. I didn't have to adjust the action at all, all I had to do was tune and then I was off to playing. Easily my favorite bass vs my David Ellefson Sig V Bass and my Music Man SUB Ray4 bass.

7. Littleblueize

Littleblueize

Friday
    You like the ignition? We ordered that first from musicians friend and the one we got is complete junk I was so disappointed because it had great reviews

8. HumbuckerFlats

HumbuckerFlats

Mar 20, 2019
    Absolutely! Of course it's not the HCT or a reissue but it gets the job done if you're playing any genre that flatwound strings are meant for. It's a very smooth sounding/playing bass; there aren't any sharp frets; the neck doesn't feel sticky; the 30" scale feels really comfortable to me and the pickups feel exactly where they're supposed to be. Of course with the La Bella Flats they sound better after you let them break in, i've had it for about two months and I still love it like I did when I first got it. It came with a little Hofner booklet with the appropriate Allen Wrenches and even a little 10' cable! Great value for a violin bass and the Hofner name.

9. HumbuckerFlats

HumbuckerFlats

Mar 20, 2019
    I'd imagine the Hofner roundwounds would sound crappier than the La Bella flatwounds as well.

MattZilla and EatS1stBassist like this.
  10. Floppystrings

Floppystrings

Apr 5, 2019
    I have ordered from every store out there and Sweetwater is one of the best.

A solid return policy is the first thing I look for when buying used, I would view scratch and dent as a used item, like a floor model. B-stock to me means it was bad from the factory, and factory seconds are the same thing but usually carry the stamp which can hurt resale.

I would buy a scratch and dent item, as long as they provide pictures. For a company like Sweetwater providing pictures is pretty nice of them. I think in the future we will be seeing more pictures of the actual item, along with weights.

eadg98005 and EatS1stBassist like this.
  11. spot65

spot65

Jan 1, 2019
    New Orleans
    I had purchased a Fender player P bass at a very good discount. It needed a setup (did the set up myself), couldn’t complain considering what I paid for it. I am really enjoying the bass.

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  12. basso_profundo

basso_profundo

Mar 12, 2012
    Denver, CO
    I've picked up several scratch and dent things from Sweetwater and kept all of them. A few I can't even find an issue. I've also had brand new gear from Sweetwater show up damaged and their return policy is fast and easy...

Anyway, work with the sales rep - get a detailed description, pics, and their personal opinion.

aldaa, EatS1stBassist and staurosjohn like this.
  13. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    I've bought some demo items from Sweetwater. Perfect condition; absolutely no complaints.

And +1 to the comments, above, about them really being concerned about customer satisfaction.

14. I purchased an Aguilar TH350 Demo model from Sweetwater, which I assume is also like buying something listed as "Scratch and dent", and they sent me very detailed photos and answered any questions I had. I love this head and got it at a very good price, so I would have no problem buying the Hofner as long as you can live with the Scratches and dents. Sweetwater is one of the best to buy from.

aldaa and EatS1stBassist like this.
  15. staurosjohn

staurosjohn Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Nottingham, MD
    I’ve purchased (new only) stuff from SW (most recently a gaggle of QSC PA equip)... anyway, as others have stated, great customer service... albeit borderline ‘stalking’ at first :smug: ... but let my guy know I didn’t need a call after getting a guitar cable... he capitulated! :thumbsup:

Clutchcargo and mikewalker like this.
  16. Littleblueize

Littleblueize

Friday

17. Littleblueize

Littleblueize

Friday
    I bought it, should be here tomorrow. They said it has a small issue with the binding on the back it was cut a hair or two short but plays fine. My son doesn’t seem concerned as he said nobody will see this spot so I hope it works out ☺️ Other than that it looks great! He’s getting the reissue if the 1962 , I included the pics Sweetwater sent me. Very happy with their customer service

Attached Files:

18. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Scratch and dent may be a return, or something damaged there- not the same as a B stock. Talk to someone there (phone) and find out exactly what the issue is.

19. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Funny how their advertising fails to mention that detail. SMDH.

20. Roxbororob

Roxbororob Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2015
    Montreal
    Welcome to TB!
    Be sure to give us updates and check in here often.

Spidey2112 likes this.