Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Scratch fixing options

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by FredH, Jul 27, 2005.

1. FredH

FredH Supporting Member

High all, I'm trying to decide whether to fix the scratches and scrapes of my 68 Pollmann. This bass spent about 30 years in the University of Ohio. It's time as a learning tool has taken a toll. I have had all the physical things repaired; new sound post, new bridge, finger board redone, various cracks fixed. Ben at Hammond Ashley did this work and it is strong with a great sound. All in all I am happy with it.

But the finish is rough with many scratches showing bear wood in all the usual places. The way I see it there are two routes to go here; fix each localized trouble spot or remove all the finish and re-varnish.

The first option is less expensive and would seem to be the obvious choice except for this - It is my understanding that Pollmann’s of the 60's where finished with a lesser quality varnish that tends to scratch off more than one would expect. Given this fact it might be better in the long run to take the full varnish option??????

I’m happy with this instrument from a performance perspective and I’d like it to look as good and it feels to play, vanity… That said I do know that Pollmanns of this era have quality issues, don’t get me going on the bass bar!?!?!?….

Here are some photos of the before…

2. Charles Shores

Charles Shores Commercial User

Jul 26, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Owner: Guitar Barre
    I don't know anything about Pollmanns, but if it's true that they are finished with a lesser quality varnish, I woul go with the full refinish job. It looks like that bass will turn out beautifully!

3. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    A full re-finish?.. At what price?.. That Bass has typical German Spirit type varnish and it scratches and chips rather than 'mars' when it gets dinged. Just have the scratches touched up. An old Bass will look old with all it's battle scars.. See the German Bass I have here; http://www.kensmithbasses.com/DoubleBasses/MorelliBass/MorelliBass.htm

It has plenty of scratches and touch-up. I would never refinish a Bass over a few lil scratches like yours has.

4. Touch up

(I am learning from Nick Lloyd to use just 2 choice words per per reply) :cool:

5. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Nnick smart.

6. Scratches?
    Patina.

7. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    Mojo. Character.

8. FredH

FredH Supporting Member

I'll just fix the scratchs!!! Truth be told I never asked how much the full finish job would be. The touch up cost enough and I did'nt want to look like a piker (which I am) ...

9. I'm always pushing this stuff....Olde English Scratch Cover in their lightest color. I've used this stuff on many really good basses. It's great.
    If you're into vanity, i'd get rid of the white crutch tip and get a nice black one.......

10. Just a drop or 2 of light boiled linseed oil (and I maean only a drop or 2!) rub it into the worst scratches with a cotton bud and leave it for a day or 2 to set.

Won't get rid of the scratch but will mellow it and take the ugly out of it.

My 2 C worth

11. MarkRubin

MarkRubin F L T

Mar 14, 2005
    Austin TX
    3 words?

Tibet Almond Stick.

Find in Hardware.

Works good sometimes.

Test before trying.

All the best!