1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

scratch on my jazz bass neck

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Mohawk93, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Mohawk93

Mohawk93

Dec 20, 2010
    i was stupid enough to hit the backside of my neck on a cymbal. i dont really feel the scratch when i play, but when i do i become very irritated. So i have two question: how do i fix the scratch? if i cant fix it, are there an online store that sells american fender necks for an good price?

2. 254 stringer

254 stringer Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Waco Texas
    Put a little superglue in it and buff it out with some steel wool.

3. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Seriously? replace a neck over a little ding?

Man... That is NOT metal. Not metal at all.

4. Mohawk93

Mohawk93

Dec 20, 2010
    do you guys have scratches on your bass necks?

5. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    That's not a scratch... that's part of making that instrument your own. Instruments are not these "precious must be handled with kid gloves" things... they're tools. They're not supposed to be abused, but the are supposed to be used, and often. My own advice, said in the kindest and gentlest way I can is... get over it. And play the heck out of your bass!

6. 254 stringer

254 stringer Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Waco Texas
    I have some light dings but anything that is rough I will fix.

7. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    Scratches. Nicks. Dings. Wear & Tear. Yup... and proud of every mark!

8. Mohawk93

Mohawk93

Dec 20, 2010
    true true...

9. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    I have DOZENS of nicks a scratches on mine!.....They actually "wear-down" the more you play....until they almost disappear.

Then you'll get a new one! edit (not a new neck...a new scratch!)

10. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    If its noticeable when played, it deserves fix imo. Id take it to a repair shop and see what theyd charge to smooth and if needed, fill, the scratch. Unless I was well experienced with such things. Nothing worse then a self fix that ends up feeling worse then the original trying to fix problem. Lol.

11. bThumper38

bThumper38 brian ebert

My jazz bass is beat to sin, I don't even know why I throw it in a case when I take her out on the town.

12. Muzoid

Muzoid

Feb 12, 2011
    Canada!
    Personally I would 'Geddy it' now.

Sand it down, and go unfinished.

Let your finger gunk be your guide :) haha

13. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Fender & Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA.
    If it were me and it bothered me that much I'd mix together a little JB Weld epoxy and smooth over the scratch/dent with it. Then before it dried I'd smooth it out. It dries slower than super glue so you'd have more time to make sure you'd corrected the mistake without flaw and it'll last a hell of a lot longer (this stuff can seal cracked engine blocks). :eek:

With all that said, I definitely come from the school of thought that bruising, nicking or denting your instrument over time makes it somehow more yours in a way. Of course this is yet another reason in a long list of why I could never own a boutique bass again. ;)

14. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    or sa:Dnd it and hit it with a couple coats of 'Rub-on' tung-oil...

15. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    :D

16. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Dang...Think I'll take my own advice on this one!...

17. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    If it's irritating because of rough/sharp edges, knock them down with a green scrotchbrite pad, wipe it with a damp rag, just wet enough to get the sanding residue off, and play it for a while.

If it still offends you, the CA (superglue) fix is by far the simplest and most effective.

If you take it to a tech, I'm betting the cost of reapir that they will knock down the edges, fill with CA and blend with another light sanding.