Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Scratch Remover

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by LizardKing45, Jan 3, 2001.

1. Will automobile scratch removing compound take the nasty scratches out of my bass? Its got a black finish, so that may be a bit easier.. but i dont really know, and i dont want to screw the finish up.

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Car compounds like 'T Cut' work by removing some of the finish. So if you can see undercoat/primer/bare wood it wont work unless you want a natural bass. I would not recommend it because you can only do it a few times. If the scratch is slight then try this. Some car polish makers have a range of coloured polishes. I have a black bottle for my Stingray. Read the instruction and dont get it on plastic.

This only works for slight scratches but is less drastic than compound or a refinish.

Hope this helps and whatever you decide to do be careful.

3. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    If the scratch is on surface, you can wipe it with some
    effective cleaningchemical. This won't remove the scratch
    but it will remove the damaged laquer which shows white
    around the scratch and makes it more visible. That works atleast on scratched motorbike helmets. After you have used the chemical wipe around the area with clean wet rag to remove the extras.