Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Scratches dings and chips on High End Basses

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by thebug, Apr 13, 2002.

1. No, it gives bass more character.

19 vote(s)
    52.8%
  2. No, don't have the money

5 vote(s)
    13.9%
  3. Yes, I want my bass to be perfect.

6 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. Dunno and don't care......

6 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. I was just wondering if there is anyone else here (besides me) that has a scratch,ding or chip on their high bass. Just yesterday a cd fell on my brand new Stingray witch made a very annoying chip in the finish. I'm not gonna get it repaired, that would cost way to much money and the guy that was supposed to repair it doesn't know how the repair will turn out. Anyway is there anyone else here with the same experience?

(btw. the first answer of the poll should ofcourse be "No, it gives the bass more character", I hate typos, especially when I make them myself...)

2. supergreg

supergreg

Jan 20, 2002
    My bass' have quite a few dings on them and I think they just had character.

3. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    My mother taught me to buy the best you can afford and take care of it. It's for that reason that I don't like to get scratches on my MIM Fender P-Bass, I certainly wouldn't be happy about nicking up a $1500 Stingray! I am extremely anal when it comes to the care of my musical equipment, no matter how expensive or inexpensive it was. No one borrows my stuff, no one plays through my stuff and no one better scratch, dent, or disrespect my stuff by placing their soda or beer cans on it! :mad:

4. I sometimes play in uniform which is murder on the back of my bass. I have learned to minimize it, but I don't think I can get it to stop completely. Oh well, the front is mint, and that is all I really care about as I nor anyone else ever really look at the rear of the instrument. Also I will never sell it...so It really doesn't make any difference.

After you get the first scratch you stop being so uptight and stop babying it and just play it.

Geoff

5. The straplock on my Spector came apart once. Sent it crashing to the concrete floor. I might get it refinished one of these days but it is all superficial nicks and bruises from playing.
    No biggie.
    ~Ad

6. a bass without scratches is like a human without scars... it hasn't really been alive yet...

7. I put a light scuff on the top of the headstock on my JetGlo Rickenbacker (Yeah, I know, I know, not really a high-end bass...). That part isn't shiny anymore, and there was a strange dent by the jackplate on it when I got it...

I was somewhat miffed about the dent by the jackplate, but it's not through the finish and you can't see it unless you're looking right at the bottom of the bass, which doesn't happen...

The headstock thing I was quite pissed at myself for, after scuffing it, I polished the bass and wouldn't let myself play it for 3 days as punishment...lol

The finish does have a million hairline scratches in it, but that can't reasonably be helped - you just have to LOOK at JetGlo and it gets scratched... so rubbing up against my clothes and stuff... well... it was certainly tough to get used to. It's a much more fragile finish than the crappy black finish on my previous bass, a junky Peavey, but far more beautiful.

I like it to look its absolute best because I think it's a gorgeous instrument. I wouldn't buy a bass if it were scratched/dinged to hell either. I believe in doing my absolute best to avoid damaging the instrument - it's a sizable chunk of cash, and I want to preserve the most of its value that I can in case something (like a black Wal bass!) comes along and I have to trade up...

--jeff

8. My FBB had a chip on the edge of the upper bout as a result of a can opener falling on it. I took it to Matt Schmill to have it sanded down, and now it looks a lot cooler, since the walnut back is exposed a little more. The contrast between the deep red bubinga and the gorgeous brown walnut is quite attractive.

9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    My main bass has an oil finish.
    Whenever there are too many nicks and scratches, I sand them down and refinish it. Since I bought it used, so I don't hesitate to do that.

Probably do it again in the summer. But right now it's still ok, you don't see cratches as clearly as on a bass with clear finish. :)

10. there is a kid on my block who makes me cringe watching how he treats his equipment... ill just put it this way... he broke every string off of his 5 string. *full body shiver*

11. I always say the obligatory expletive and give a pained look on my face when something happens to my bass, but I don't lose sleep over it.

But like someone else up there said, I usually don't remember how it got there. :)

12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    My gear usually stays in the condition I bought it in, not because I'm anal, it's just not that hard for me to avoid most common accidents.

The easiest and usually most overlooked way to avoid damage is...

don't put gear in harm's way:). It's almost too simple, isn't it?

How many times have you placed something in a precarious position only to have it fall? If you don't do that, it won't happen. Think ahead and it's amazing what you can avoid

Of course some people call that lucky;)

13. well this was the first time for me to damage a bass, it had never happened to me before because I am pretty anal about scratches and stuff. I HATE scratches or dings in the finish :mad:

14. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Like all my possessions, I treat my bass with care. Probably more so than many other of my possessions, simply because I derive more pleasure from it. But if a scratch or nick happens, oh well. As long as it doesn't affect the performance of the instrument, I don't care much about its appearance.

15. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    As Htag said, if you play a bass, your are going to put some wear on it. If you want to keep it in mint condition, you might as well just stick it in a hardshell case and never play it. It's like buying a new car, if you drive it, it's not going to look brand new after a while. I use to make a big fuss over things. I use to turn my belt buckle to the side and everything to try and prevent scrathes, but hey, if it gets them, it gets them.

It's the really stupid, unnececssary stuff that ticks me off. At a recent gig, I was sitting at a table, waiting to go on in a little bit. You know how stages double as storage space when there isn't a band playing. :rolleyes: Well, there were chairs on stage, and my one bass (luckily the Squier) was sitting on it's stand, right in front of them. Some guy decides he needs more chairs, so he starts grabbing them from behind the bass. Our lead singer offers to get the chairs for him and he says "No Thanks". Then it happened: He knocked my bass over with a chair. It went crashing right into the bass cabinet I was using. Put about 2 or 3 dings in the back of the neck. :mad: But, what was I going to do? Sue him for a new neck for my cheap Squier bass. (The bass sounds pretty good IMO, I'm actually thinking about putting better pup's in it. Plus it has a lot of sentimental value) The part the ****ed me off was that he didn't even offer an apology for doing it.

But there is a difference between a used and an abused instrument. And believe me I've seen some (and have actually played some) abused instruments.

16. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    quite a few of my basses have some wear on them, and a few dings. doesn't impede how they perform.

17. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    How true, Jazzbo. I think that's the way most of us feel.

18. well I agree with most of you, and I'm slowly starting to get over the little ding in my Stingray. The thing that botherd me was that I just had this bass for one day and it was absolutely 100% mint when I bought it, but I guess that's life, nothing stays perfect and maybe having the flu had something to do with the way I reacted
    (that's me when I had the flu last week, yeah it was bad---->[​IMG])

19. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    In paying for a bass as expensive as my Spector, or as cheap as my MIM Jazz, I still enjoy the aesthetic appeal of minimal "wear and tear". I try to take care of them as best I can. I'm not anal, I just don't like looking at nicks and checks in the finish.

Then again, if I had a '61 Jazz, I might feel differently;)

20. A while ago my crappy P-Bass Lyte fell off its stand and placed a ding in the neck behind the second fret.

For a while I was pissed. I never notice it now. It doesn't fall under my fingers when I play (cos I've got proper LH technique;) ) There's also a wierd double scar on the very top of the neck just near the third fret marker. That's been there since I picked up the bass (second hand), and I'm kind of fond of it now.

So, don't.... fret.