Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Scratches in clearcoat

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by fenbull, Dec 7, 2003.

1. fenbull

fenbull

Oct 31, 2003
    Akron ohio
    I posted here since i didnt feel this was for the basses thread...oh well. what can you do to reduce or repare slight scratches in the clearcoat? I was told to use fine rubbing compound? The scraches are like from pick or finger nails around the pups on the btb 400 I just got.They are like what clearcoat scratches you get around the doorhandles on a car...if you get my picture.

2. ZonPlyr

ZonPlyr

Apr 29, 2003
    Pasadena, CA
    If they aren't too deep you can use 3m scratch remover to get rid of them. You should be able to find it at most auto parts stores pretty cheap. You can either rub them out by hand or use an orbital buffer, but be careful using the buffer since too much pressure could cause you to remove the clear coat. But if you're patient and take your time you can make your axe look like new again.

3. LoJoe

LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    I always love the opportunity to post this picture! :D

My old Fender P, treated first with 3M cleaner wax and swirl remover (It will take out most surface scratches and any film, sweat or gunk collected on the surface as well), followed by a treatment of Zaino 3 step show car polish.

[​IMG]

4. fenbull

fenbull

Oct 31, 2003
    Akron ohio
    Thanks guys i will try the swirl remover and a cloth. The scratches are very light....you can only see them in an angle to light.