Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by traveltinker, May 16, 2002.

1. To keep from scratching up the back of my basses, I've used 8"x8" squares of moleskin(Foot dept. in the drrug store). Put it on the back, it lasts almost forever. The gig I'm doing now requires a cummerbun, so it's no problem. The only reason I worry about that any way is to keep moisture from getting to the wood. Most 'character marks' can be covered with water based urethane. Seals it and not noticeable.
  2. LA

Oct 17, 2001
    I remember seeing pads that you could put on the back of your bass, back in the 80's. Wearing your belt buckle to one side does wonders, too, and can be a conversation starter.
  3. a WHAT ?? :eek: :D :p :rolleyes: :eek:
  4. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    I used to wear my belt buckle to the side to keep from damaging my bass too. Didn't do much for those headstock dings, though. But it was a conversation starter.
  5. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I know - I got the same impression. Murph & the Magic Tones, right? ;)
  6. well no.. but a cummerbun ? :eek:
  7. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Didn't the monkeys' bass player do that?
  8. Heh, some conversation starter! "Didn't the Monkey's bassist do that" hehehe.

Surpirsingly, I have next to no dings or scratches on the back of my Baby..

Thanks for the advice!

...Cummerbun?!?!:eek: :eek: :D
  9. I think he means 'cumberbun', which is that wussy lookin piece of fabric you wear round your guts with a tux.
  10. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Had an Ibanez Verdine White 4 that came with a black plastic piece about where the belt buckle hits. Functional but ugly, I usually slide the buckle to the left. Natural finishes don't show scratches as much.
  11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

That would be a cummerbund.