1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

'Scratching' Problem with Fretless Jazz

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by owensea777, Jun 16, 2007.

1. owensea777

owensea777 Inactive

Jun 16, 2007
    There is a problem with a MIM Fender Jazz that I want to buy. When i turn the smallest knob up even a little, the notes are all scratchy. I have tried the bass on different amps and with different cords, same effect. It seems to be a problem with the cord connection, because if I turn the cord a little, the scratchy noise happens. Any ideas as to what the problem is? Is it fixable (cheaply)?

2. sounds like an earthing problem.

ps. its cord (or cable) not chord (a group of notes) and this is in the wrong section

Also:

Welcome to Talkbass!

3. bassman312

bassman312

Oct 19, 2006
    a D-minor chord usually helps me when i have this problem

4. owensea777

owensea777 Inactive

Jun 16, 2007
    bump I know someone can help me and not just make fun!

5. spiritbass

spiritbass

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
  6. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Sounds like an input jack problem. Oxidation over time can create a bad contact there.
    Get some 400 grit sandpaper. Roll it into a pencil shape, and put it in the jack where your cord would go. Swizzle it around a bit and pull it out and look at it. If it's all covered with rustly looking munge, roll another, and repeat.
    When done, clean the jack with a Q-tip doused with WD40, CAIG, or something. A bit of light work repated on your cables ends is good too.

If none of this works, time for a new input jack.

7. owensea777

owensea777 Inactive

Jun 16, 2007
    Thanks so much.

Just in case, about how much would a new input jack cost? (MIM Jazz)

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 19, 2021