Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Scratchy input jack

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rick Martin, Jan 29, 2002.

1. I'd like to just replace the thing, but it is somewhat inaccessable. Are there any tricks for dealing with a funky input jack? How about pushing an alchohol soaked Q tip in from the front to try to clean it?

2. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Hmmm... I don't know if it'll make that much of a difference, but what amp are you using?

3. It's the Pignose Hog 30 battery amp.

4. The alchohol soaked Q tip has worked for me, use rubbing alchohol, Jack Daniels will make it worse.

Also if there is a service cover you might be able to bend the jacks tongs in a little.

Are you sure it is not the cable or amp jack?

5. I'll try the Q tip thing. I agree that the Jack Daniels usually makes things worse. If there were a service cover or easy access, I would go right after the thing, but this input jack would be the last piece of a complete dissasembly. It's not the cable, it's definitely the jack. I wonder if it's possible to bend the prong in arthoscopically, like when the plastic surgeon installs breast implants through the belly button.

6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Try a .30 cal rifle brass bore brush dipped in alcohol! I've saved several jacks over the years that way, and it's cheaper than buying that $20 jack cleaning tool. Wally World (Wal-mart) has 'em for under $5...

7. I used the brass gun brush with the alcohol and my amp is good as new. Problem solved! Thanks for the great tip.

8. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    OH NO! I WAS JUST KIDDING!!!!

;)

Glad to hear it worked. I've done it that way for years - a lot of ham radio gear uses 1/4" jacks that require periodic cleaning. Just don't push it in too far - it's a pain to have to disassemble your gear after a quick cleaning goes awry.

9. I pushed it in real far. I know I shouldn't have done that, but it felt so good, I couldn't stop.

10. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Oh, baby baby...