1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Scratchy pot.. fixes?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cyndicate, Mar 5, 2010.

1. cyndicate

cyndicate

Feb 4, 2010
    I picked up a used Mesa Walkabout recently, seems there's a scratchy master volume pot, when I adjust it, it makes some unwanted scratchy noises, even happens sometimes when i play, what's a fix to this, maybe some contact cleaner on the pot?

:)

2. calebbarton

calebbarton

Aug 25, 2007
    Oregon
    I manufacture for several companies including but not limited to: Bridge City Sound, Catalinbread, more.
    well you can get some electrical cleaner (deoxit, MCL) or if you dont want to take the amp apart you can turn the knob back and forth till the scratchy sounds disappear. thats what i do with my 400+ when it gets a little crusty inside the pots. i would suggest the pot cleaner though if you know how to do that sort of thing.

3. cyndicate

cyndicate

Feb 4, 2010
    Cool thanks I'll try turning it back and forth for now. I think the walkabout has just been sitting around unused before I got it. Maybe I'll try taking it apart and spray some Deoxit on it. I have some lying around somewhere, I might as well try a tube swap while I'm at it too.

4. DrSmaggs

DrSmaggs

Oct 15, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Endorsing Artist:
    I got some contact cleaner with lubricant from Radio Shack (I call it Stereo Hut) and it's AWESOME!

You get a clean and noiseless pot, plus it turns smoother!

5. keyboardguy

keyboardguy Supporting Member

May 11, 2005
  6. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Use the contact cleaner. Spinning the pot with the dirt in it is like sanding it.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 28, 2020