1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Scratchy pots after preamp removal

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by RedLefty, Aug 14, 2016.

Tags:
  1. RedLefty

RedLefty

Jan 19, 2016
    Texas
    Pulled the pre out of my GSR205 (L) wired as VVT and now both of my pots scratch and then scratch loudly (almost a POP!) at full volume.

Am I missing something? They didn't scratch before and its loud enough to trip my limiter on my wireless.

2. RedLefty

RedLefty

Jan 19, 2016
    Texas
    Here is the current wiring:

IMG_3487.JPG

3. RedLefty

RedLefty

Jan 19, 2016
    Texas
    bump?

4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    looks normal at first glance.

might just be dirty/worn pots that need to be replaced, or at least hit with some contact cleaner.

RedLefty likes this.
  5. Could you have fried the pots with the soldering iron?

LoveThatBass likes this.
  6. RedLefty

RedLefty

Jan 19, 2016
    Texas
    I'm waiting to get some cleaner, I just found it odd the way they suddenly do this. This is my daily driver so its not like I'm just now noticing this.

I didn't hit those with the iron.

7. For cleaner get Deoxit and only use the smallest amount necessary.

RedLefty and walterw like this.
  8. RedLefty

RedLefty

Jan 19, 2016
    Texas
    Found the problem!

Ok, I got the DEOXID and cleaned up the pots - no dice.

However, while I had the cover off I pulled the wireless off and used a hard line and - no scratching!! So I checked my wireless transmitter and I had the mic/inst switch bumped to mic. Moved it over to instrument and WOW! No scratch and my tone pot came alive! I didn't mention that before as I figured it may have to do with the pre coming out. Everything seems more responsive than when I had the preamp on (probably in my head though).

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.