1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Scratchy sound when I move the tone knob on Fender Jazz bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by andbaggio, Sep 26, 2017.

1. andbaggio

andbaggio

Dec 16, 2011
    Treviso, Italy
    As I mentioned on the subject I get a really annoying scratchy sound when I turn the tone knob on my bass.

The problem is that I get that same noise sometimes when I play and it's really annoying.

Is it dirt or is something I need to repair? How can I get a quick solution to the problem? Please help me out, thanks.

2. Dirty or bad pot perhaps? Usually that has been my "luck" when dealing with scratchy scratch sounds when turning knobs. Also could be a wiring issue as well perhaps.

andbaggio likes this.
  3. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    Try using a cleaner like Caig Deoxit. I don't know if it's available in Italy, but if not, something like it is. Use a very small amount and don't spray it down the shaft. Apply it thru an opening in the pot case.

andbaggio likes this.
  4. Rallypoint_1

Rallypoint_1 Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2010
    Pasadena, California
    You can use electrical connection cleaner from the auto parts store. Much cheaper and works just as good. I spray a few light drops down the shaft and move back and forth. Re-apply if still scratchy.

andbaggio likes this.