Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Scream

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by kserg, Jan 8, 2005.

1. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    I got a weird question to people who know some metal... who would you say was a person who started screaming style of singing somewhat first... something like pantera and meshuggah, and other bands such as.

2. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Heh. Depends on what kind of screaming you're talking about. I'm pretty sure the first black metal style screaming (okay, shrieking) was done by Venom. I daresay that the style of singing you're talking about started with Black Flag or the Misfits. Actually, these two bands are probably really heavy influences on just about all aspects of current metal, whether it's directly or by some proxy.

There's a really, really good site that I can't remember the name or address of right now that's a searchable database of bands, crossreferencing with influences and similar groups. Hopefully somebody will know what I'm talking about. It presents the information in color-coded circles.

3. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Little Richard

4. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    And Screamin Jay Hawkins. He was a spaz, and really, really awesome. :D

5. kearney

kearney

Jul 5, 2004
    muddy waters throws a good howl at time to time

6. Probaly traditional hardcore bands ALA Bad Brains

7. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Bathory/Quorthon?

8. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    I'm not really into the whole categorizing/genre thing, but I think that it probably just evolved over time. I don't think there was just ONE person that started using it.

9. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I'm not either, except as a way of making sure that everybody's talking about the same thing. I think we can agree that there are different "styles" of screaming, though.

As to the first, I dunno. People like Jerry Lee Lewis, Screamin Jay Hawkins, et al were the first that I personally am aware of that put any violent emotion into their music and let it show with something akin to screaming. Muddy Waters and Son House and others like them would holler and carry on, too.

10. BMGecko

BMGecko

Sep 5, 2002
    Albuquerque, NM
    Most of the modern screaming (the stuff that sounds like unintelligible mud) probably started with something like Napalm Death on the "Scum" album. Bands had screamed before, but never so unintelliglibly. Slayer's singer screamed, but you could understand him. Rock guys screamed, I'm sure there were some jazz vocalists who did... But the whole "wall of unintelligible muc" likely started with Napalm Death.

11. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Napalm Death, i totally forgot about those guys.

12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    "wall of unintelligible muc" is the best description I've ever heard of a lot of ND's music. I dig a lot of their stuff, but a great example of what I don't like is "Human Garbage" off of Scum.

13. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Oo, oo, I wanna play! I am inclined to say it was Chuck Schuldiner of Death. Not to say he was any good at it, but he was one of the innovators.

14. SubEndSorcerer

SubEndSorcerer

Nov 27, 2004
    What about The Possessed. AFAIC, they were the first true death metal band.

15. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    No man, they were melodic-thrash-core----core. :).

16. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    sweet... thanks guys...

Eyescream... yeah... i havent listen to those bands (Venom, Black Flag, the Misfits) much... i will... they are the oldest on list i guess:)

Thank you

Cheers

17. Beach Boys. They were doing the "Wooooo" thing a long time ago.

Rock on
    Eric