Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

screaming causes cold

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by anenemy, Jan 4, 2006.

1. anenemy

anenemy

Oct 4, 2005
    I am curious to know if hardcore screaming can break down you immune system. Recently, I practiced my scream for an hour or so, and two days later I got a mild flu. When I got better, I had another session, and here I am, sick two days later. I have been getting better at using my diaphram and preserving my vocal chords by relaxing, but is something else going on here that is harming my immune system?

2. Stop screaming! Maybe it's just not for you?

3. I don't believe the two are related, in that way anyway. If anything, on both occasions, you possibly were tired from practicing at the same time as being in the vicinity of said virus...being tired can potentially make you more susceptible to "catching " something...but we're really talking over-tired.

Are you using the same mic both times? the virus could be on the mic still...wash the windscreen. If anything, the fact that the onsets are mild is possibly a GOOD sign that your immune system is strong, and you get over it quickly.

4. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    They are not related if you really were sick. If by "mild flu" you meant hoarseness, loss of voice, sore throat then yes, they could be related.

You might want to take a look at the stickied topic (Bassist's guide to singing) at the top of the band mgmt./performance forum. Screaming is bad news for your voice no matter how you practice. There is no "good way" to do it I'm afraid. ;)

5. I've experienced something similar. Particularly, after talking a lot. My theory is that talking too much or screaming can irritate your throat and leave it more susceptable to getting infected. For me, I usually end up with bronchitis.

- Dave

6. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the two are connected. If you're placing a strain on your body then your immune system will be weaker than otherwise. That's why going outside in the winter without bundling up can give you a cold.

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Luckily for me, I'm only screaming for vengance