Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by SpecialEd123, Mar 5, 2003.

1. Sup, Im curious to know if anyone on here has any ideas to help with my current situation. In my band, im going to be the 'screamer' the one who yells, is there anyway or any programs i can get to train my voice ot scream louder and less raspy? I can already scream pretty damn loud, even though i have a pretty low voice. But id like to be able to scream louder, with no pain in my throat, and with no raspy-ness in it. thanks fer all your input.
  2. Sing from your diaphragm. An easy i was told to get used to it is to put a pen to your bottom lip and when you talk, talk down into it.

My advice, is to get proper singing lessons if you wanna be able to do it well. It will most likely take practice to get it right but when you do, you should be able to do it for ages and have no pain.
  3. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I didn't know "screaming" could be learned at voice lessons. Isn't screaming, just well, screaming...:confused:
  4. bass_is_for_me

Jan 1, 2003
    Screaming takes years to prefect! ;)
    It is harder then playing bass! :D
    Getting the pure volume without the "raspy-ness" is harder then then a teenage boy watching a britney spears video.
  5. nothing is as 'hard' as that!:D
  6. how about a duet with britney spears and christina aguilera? :D
  7. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Screaming is a nice instrument since you can practice it anywhere. When you are at the mall, in school or church etc just let out loud "AAAAAARGH!!"-screams once in a while, you'll notice the difference in couple of weeks.
  8. Wownirvana

Jul 7, 2002
    Athens, GA
    I'm in the same situation sort of. Me and my friends started up our band cause we wanna rock some shows and our guitarist/leadsinger/bandleader told me that I need to learn how to scream. I'm only 5'6" and he can already scream real well so I was kinda startled by that. Plus I listen to lots of ska and punk stuff and he listens to (some) metal stuff. I've been practicing and I can do it pretty good (even though I hope I don't have to) Just practice a lot. Oh yeah and never scream so hard it hurts your stomach....It really really hurts.
  9. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    The "screamer", huh? Spend a few nights in the local prison, you should have perfected by then. :D
  10. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I hope they're paying you good money to wreck your voice.
  11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yup - almost certainly will damage your throat and vocal chords!!

I heard an interview yeserday with a singer in a rock group who was untrained an untutored and he had just gone to Harley Street for a scan which showed liesions, bleeding etc in his vocal chords - I can only imagine continual screaming will cause much worse damage - probably complete loss of voice, if done for long periods ......:(
  12. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I know Rod Stewart had problems with his voice due to not warming up properly etc. etc. (which he has now got sorted out).

And, remember all the screaming McCartney used to do ("Long Tall Sally", "I'm Down" et al - especially in the early days with heavy touring).

Listen to his voice now :eek:
  13. The guy from Finch is an amazing screamer. And his voice is just as amazing. It's crazy how that small of a person can belt out like that.
  14. Why would you want to do this? Why not just sing well?

If you want to listen to how it's done well, listen to Robert Plant.
  15. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    My thoughts exactly.
  16. bass_is_for_me

Jan 1, 2003
    { Screamer's Voice On} Dude you just don't understand where we are coming from! Why practice many hours to perfect my voice when I can just start yelling. { Screamer's Voice Off}

I happen to listen to a few bands that sing and scream. Then again if mudvayne did not yell I would listen to them more often.

Keep Jammin :bassist:

P.S. I'm so cool I don't need to use ing to end words like Jammin :D
  17. There are some vocal coaches who train heavy metal screamers. There is one where I live, and she was once a backup singer for Tina Turner, amongst others. She taught a singer I once played with to be able to do the Robert Plant and AC/DC thing without wrecking his throat, and in the process he increased his range quite dramatically.
  18. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Because you will do irreparable damage to your throat and vocal chords? :rolleyes:

So - in later life you may not even be able to talk - well at least not without pain! :(
  19. Do you mean scream as when you are being eaten alive by gremlins or do you mean growl as Phil Anselmo and Max Cavalera do?

I've got a friend who sings in a band and he started to growl whithout proper technique and ended up with a really sore throat. Then he started taking singing lessons and learned propper breathing and singing from the stomache (diaphragm) and the problems ceased.

The best* growler ever must be Jens Kidman from Meshuggah. Listen to some live performances and prepare to be literally blown away. :)

*In my opinion