1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Screaming.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by whitefuneral, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Does/can anybody here in TB scream as in metal, screamo, deathcore, etc.

If so can any of you give me any tips on high growls/screams.

After a couple of lines or a small verse my screams go from decent, vibrato, wet at times to dry just about the only thing coming out of my throat is air, no sound.

Any tips on getting my screams more consistent throughout a song/verse.

Thanks.

2. 1. Apply testicles on a stool.
    2. Hit with sledgehammer.
    3. Scream like a professional! ;):D

3. Tried that at first ended up like oli sykes, bad idea ;)

4. sandmangeck

sandmangeck

Jul 2, 2007
    Colorado
    Just don't do it. Find someone else to ruin the voice

5. I've been screaming for better part of 20 years now. Aside from no longer having a Mariah Carey caliber high register, it hasn't affected my voice at all.

Two things are important- you have to find how to scream properly. Yes there is such a thing. If it's hurting you're doing it wrong. If you taste blood stop immediately. Second thing is Thayer's Slippery Elm throat lozenges. They are made for opera singers. Suck one slowly right before you sing and another one after you stop. It's been my secret weapon for years. Most health food stores carry them. Get the cherry flavored in the bottle, the ones in the box go stale and the orange flavor is horrible.

Remember, as with any singing, you need to be moving air from your diaphragm. If you're just screaming out of your mouth like my ex-wife in an argument with me then it's going to hurt and not sound good. Breathe from your belly, not your chest. Some people find it easier to scream like that if they have a straighter path from lungs to mouth, so try lifting your chin and leaning forward a bit. I'm pretty sure that's why Lemmy has that weird mic position, look at the path the air takes from his lungs to his mouth.

Try to avoid alcoholic drinks, as the alcohol will strip the mucus from your throat. Same with pop, the carbonation will make your throat more vulnerable. Thick beverages like tea with lots of honey or even milk (if you can scream without throwing it up) are best. You don't have to down gallons of it, just small sips in between songs.

I've been screaming like this for the past 20 years and no ill effects:

Foul Spirits video shoot "Unholy" - YouTube

6. hi. screamer here.

im 100% mids, but i agree 100% with the post above.

the zen of screaming DVD is worthwhile.

i feel like screaming range is much like singing range. theres a natural spot for you, and then you stretch it with practice. i can start to get into high mids. never lows. my bassist is all mids and growls. just where we naturally go.

and i cant stress enough, even though its been stated already, if it hurts, STOP. theres no "toughening up your throat", just messing yourself up bad.

7. It only starts to hurt after I do it for consecutive lines one line or phase is fine, I never usually don't get time to sit/stand and scream due to how busy my life is and that I get no time to my self.

I'm not sure if they sell those throat drops down under but I will have a look.

I do breath from my diaphragm but I do have a chest defect where my sternum caves in to my esophagus. Big health/screaming problem.

Considering giving up drinking but I have friends who do and they can still scream brutally. Also I drink a lot of coffe any good for me?