1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Screamo?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by xxfaux_punkxx, May 7, 2010.

1. xxfaux_punkxx

xxfaux_punkxx

Mar 18, 2010
    Indiana
    Who is for it? Who is against it? Why?

Personaly I hate screamo. It's just noise and doesn't take much talent. It's in audible and just sounds like you're watching Tv static. Of coarse this is all jmo.

2. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    I started to say "Your getting old" but then saw your not! You should be explaining it to ME!! It's just kids trying to be different blending metal, Death metal,& punk. It'll pass

3. Have to admit that I'm not a fan either.

4. I don't like it when people call sceamo hardcore. There is nothing hardcore about it.

5. Sreaming is one thing. The band Nitro's lead singer holds the current record for highest and longest metal scream ever. Also, Iron Maiden's vocalist could do some good stuff.

Screaming THROUGH THE ENTIRE FREAKING SONG IN A WHINY, NASLY SQUEAL that grates on my nerves after awhile is quite another. Screamo is right out for me, unless you don't call it screamo and call it Metal Core or something and then I might listen to it and then say it sucks or be cool with it.

But in general, no, I don't. Bring back too many memories of running around in Hot Topic with weird women. It's just not my thing.

6. Daveomd

Daveomd

Feb 28, 2010
    I always just thought it was a way for some dopey mall kids kids to try to make their pu$$y whipped American Idol b@ll$hit music hard. Y'know, can't really play metal 'cause it's too difficult but you wanna appear to be bad, so take some Boy Band songs and scream like Black Metal over it.

7. waynobass

waynobass

Feb 27, 2008
    Texas
    As in any genre, there's probably some good, and plenty of bad.

8. NateS

NateS

Sep 22, 2009
    Richmond, VA, USA
    listen to Me and Him Call It Us, real, true screamo sounds nothing like pop punk/pop

9. wait wait wait.

we have to keep a clear image of what screamo is here.

senses fail, hawthorne heights, silverstein.. varying types of screamo band.

killswitch engage, shadows fall, underoath, (older) avenged sevenfold... varying types of metalcore.

despised icon, cradle of filth, job for a cowboy... varying types of death metal

and as long as we're on the same page.. screamo DOES suck pretty hard. its just soft music with feigned aggression.

hardcore is pretty well dead. there are other genres masquerading as hardcore.. but its always actually something else that was once derived from hardcore.

10. This is what I generally understood it to be.

11. NateS

NateS

Sep 22, 2009
    Richmond, VA, USA
    sences fail = metal core, hawthorne heights = emo, silverstein = post-hardcore

screamo = me and him call it us, angel hair, circle takes the square, pg. 99, i wrote haikus about cannibalism in your yearbook, etc.

12. I think there are too many music genres, especially in metal. we need to have only 5, like the points of the pentagram!

13. Yakob

Yakob

Nov 15, 2009
    Philadelphia, PA
    Screamo is a misnomer. The original bands dubbed "screamo" were bands like Antioch Arrow and Heroin, who played vaguely math-y hardcore influenced songs.

However, just like the term "emo", it was co-opted by major labels and mall punks alike. Real "emo" bands were also vaguely math-y at times, but it was softer, more alt-rock. Think Jimmy Eat World, Sunny Day Real Estate, Christie Front Drive, and Cap'n Jazz.

I think the bands you're referring to are more along the lines of newer hardcore, metalcore, and post-hardcore bands. The "screaming" you're referencing in the genre title is an adapted and evolved form of the call-and-response shouting of bands like At The Drive-In, Fugazi, and Bear Vs Shark. It can be annoying if done poorly and overused.

It is WONDERFUL when used tastefully and applied well to a song.

14. nothing about senses fail is metal. its just a whiny attempt at hardcore.

HH is screamo with emo tendencies, but there ARE screams.

and silverstein touches on post hardcore, sure, but they are plenty whiney, plenty screamy, and too light to be much else. they use that super obvious screamo breakdown.

and im sure all the other bands are screamo.. but i was discussing mainstream screamo. we can sit here and name bands each other hasnt heard of for days. its easiest to pick out the ones that made it and branch off from there.

15. See, I like screamo. Not all of it, the above mentioned bands: Senses Fail, Hawthorne Heights. I don't think of them as screamo bands; maybe they are, but not in my mind. I link that name with the bands that came up in the underground in the late 90's into the first couple years of the 00's.

I think of Pg. 99, The Locust, Orchid, Neil Perry, etc., these band toured and recorded pretty relentlessly, with a great DIY zeal despite never (with the exception of the Locust probably) playing to more than a few hundred people at their peak. I admire their dedication and spirit, and I like the music. I like the wall of noise that slowly blooms into a melody and then into a song.

And for anyone who poo poos their skill, check out Neil Perry's drummer and tell me then he does not have serious chops.

(Warning, he flips the bird at the beginning, if you're sensitive about that stuff).

16. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Yep that is my interpretation of screamo. And it is f***ing awful. I believe all music is something to be embraced and listened to without prejudice. But that literally sounds like a murder is taking place with a bass drum pumping along in the background.

Fixed.

17. I blame it all on the "tight girl pants" they all wear

18. it IS getting ridiculous. what really gets me is the breakdown of death metal. ive got a co-worker that explains this stuff to me.. and i dont really get it. it all sounds about the same. i can split them up into vague subcategories.. which ones are more thrash, which ones are more black metal, which are deathcore.

but of THOSE, there are others. jebus. apparently theres a sub-sub genre of death metal called "slam" which is waking the cadaver. somehow theres a difference between them and job for a cowboy. i dont hear it. its all just kinda noisy and ridiculous to me. i know the difference between behemoth and despised icon. one is foreign and terrible, the other is just terrible.

ill discuss the differences between xdown to nothingx and xlooking forwardx until im blue in the face, but i cant differentiate most death metal. i surely cant read the names anymore.

19. One requirement for my new genrefication system is that the word "core" shall not be present on the end of any genre titles, and those caught doing so will be sacked and then fed to bears.

Also, Death Metal used to mean Death Metal. What is this DEATHCORE you speak of?

Also too, "Crunkcore" is the new nu-metal. I don't care what anyone else says.

20. ack. im getting REALLY tired of all the man-ass in public. wear some dudes jeans, for the love of bob.

my pants were one size too big in middle school, and years later, still wearing them, they still are.

if we can get rid of swoopy haircuts, gauged ears and v-neck shirts while we're all it, id be in heaven.