screen names

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by wotnwhy, Apr 4, 2002.

1. i thought this would be an interesting post (but then again it might not)

i find my self quite often wondering why some of the people here chose the screen names that they have.

i also have trouble working out how to pronounce (sp?) some of them. so here's what you do:

tell us how and/or why you came up with the screen name you have,

and then tell us how to pronounce it (if it's not obvious, of course :D )

i'll go first.

i have the same screen name as e-mail address, and this is how i came up with the e-mail address

ME "mum, wot do you think would be a good e-mail address?"
    MUM "how about wotnwhy?'
    ME "wot?"
    MUM "how about wotnwhy?"
    ME "why?"
    MUM "exactly!"

geddit? :D

just in case you don't, she suggested it because all i ever say to her is "wot?" and "why?"
    hence WOT 'N' WHY

ok, now it's your turn, PLEASE help make this my first seccesfull post

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    my real name is richard millhouse nixon. i picked "john turner" a long time ago because he was such a successful canadian prime minister, he was an inspiration.

just sorta stuck.
  3. lowb

Jul 27, 2000
    London, UK
    When i signed up here, i'd just replaced my 4 string with my 5 string Overwater...........You just gotta luv that extra string:p

pronounce it how you like

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

em·bellish·er n.

One who embellishes.

This was a nickname that my drummer buddy gave to me when I was 15, and I've been stuck with it ever since.
  5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

My mother gave me my name as well! I was named after the famous British actor - Dirk Bogarde ...honestly! Anybody who can work out how/why I came to actually be named Bruce deserves a prize.....they won't get one of course! ;)
  6. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    C pronounced 'cee' and S pronounced 'ess'. These are my initials. I use them because I don't want anyone to know that my name is Chris Sexton.
  7. Bruce Lindfield

"Lobe" as in "Lobotomy"? ;)
  8. uh....... where you from chris??????
  9. Gunnar Þór - my real name. Well, the first and middle one anyway. Have fun trying to pronounce that right, most foreigners I've met can't even make sounds necessary untill after extencive practise. :)
  10. Bruce Lindfield

"Mr. Lah-di-dah Gunner Graham!" - hows that for an English interpretation!? :D
  11. lowb

Jul 27, 2000
    London, UK
    Year Bruce.....i used to be a drummer :D

only kidding;)
  12. Often

Often Guest

Oct 4, 2001
    Stockholm Sweden
    It's from my e-mail., since.. well it's true. I seldom leave my house and I live in my closet..
  13. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    It's derived from an old nickname. Don't want to bother you with the complete story since it's pretty uninteresting.
  14. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Luton Beds voted the worst town in England a couple of years ago
  15. phew!

i thought u might be my drama teacher (he's called Chris Sexton). and it would be quite wierd talking to one of my teachers :D
  16. Actually that's the closest anyone has ever come to saying my name! Up till now people have pronounced it like Charles, Joanne and a certain family in Miami calls me Marvin. Or not.

It's not like the word "gunner". There are two different vowels there people, come on, let's concentrate.

Actually found an Icelandic pronouncation guide for English on the net, let's try this thing out.

G - Like in Good
    U - Like the French eux in Deux.
    NN - Normal N
    A - Like in Father.
    R - Trilled like Scottish or Irish R.

G [Good] U [eUx] NN [normal] A [fAther] R [Think Scottish!]

Website's at, there's great fun to be had there listening to all the strange languages (they have sound samples of short phrases).
  17. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

The Mrs.'s use to make fun for my lack of Nintendo abilities and call me the "Nintendo Sped" as in I sped while playing.... usually having my character running back and forth out of control or just doing stupid moves. Well we then got Yosh's Island and I reached a new high ( or low ) so I became the "Nintendo Speddling". "Ling" equates to "Less then" or "worse then"

When we went online in 95/96 usernames were already getting thin.... I've never NOT been able to be speddling when james, jamesh, jhart, etc etc etc are almost always gone. So I gave up trying to be myself ;)
  18. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    I guess what with "Dan" being my first name (well actually it's Daniel but no one calls me that) and "Gouge" being my surname I just sorta put the two together. I thought that no spaces in the name looked cool.

BTW JT, until I saw pics of you I sorta of pictured you looking like former Prime Minister Turner :p
  19. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    It is the same as most of my internet IDs.

Chas is a common abbreviation for Charles, which is my first name.

I have never actually been addressed as Chas although I often sign office memos "Chas." thinking that the period tells everyone that is an abreviation and I am not "Chas," but still Charles, just too lazy to spell out the other three letters.

Arms is my last name.

Sorry is it boring, but true.

20. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

You can just call me Deep Throat.;)