Screw DR

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Tash, Jun 5, 2005.

1. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I've had a set of DR High beams for less than 3 weeks and they are already sounding like flats!

I'm going back to Elixirs.
  2. Tash,

I have used two sets of DR Hi-Beams on my MM Fender Jazz, they were great at first and they seem to drop off very quick after that. I posted this morning how pleased I am with my Sadowsky strings.

I have been doing some research on Elixirs, how are they for 5 and 6 string. Are they long lasting, punchy, bright? What bass(es) do you play. Thanks for any info you can share.

Big Ce
  3. jhfva

May 2, 2004
    Roanoke, VA
    I've been using DR Black Beauties on a Fender Zone 5 string for about 2 weeks and they seem very good. I don't mind the black look either! I had some setup problems with the 125 B string and switched to a 130 tapered string last night, which seems much tighter and has a better feel. I also tried Carol Kaye setup suggestions and she's right!

I've tried the Fender 8250 and a set of Ken Smith strings on the Fender. Ken's string were a bit better, but I think I like the DRs.

On my Dean I have tried Elixirs and liked the feel of a coated string which is why I tried the Black Beauties. I haven't seen any tapered Elixirs, but I've heard that they are coming.

I also tried Thomastik-Infeld on the Dean and loved the sound, but the gauge was too thin for me and I didn't keep them very long. I got a thicker set for the Fender, but the B string was way too big to feed through the body and in that line there isn't a smaller gauge. I've think that I've learned that I need to use tapered E and B strings.
  4. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota

I've used DR for years and have always had good luck with them. Great strings IMHO.

One man's trash...
  5. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    I've been real happy with DR. I've been using the new coated colored strings, but the coolness of the colors has worn off on me now(I may keep a set on one bass, but not all of mine). I just ordred some bootzillas, can't wait till they get in.

One man's Tash.... :hyper:
  6. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Tash, "screw" is a pretty strong pejorative, but I have to admit that my experiences with DR haven't been all that positive either. I'd like to try some of their coated strings, but I'm afraid. :bag:
  7. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I had Elixir nanowebs on my bass for almost a year an a half, they still had about 90% of their punch and definition left after that time, though the webbing was starting to flake badly. This was on my ESP 5 string.

I decided to give DRs a try because the proprietor of my local music shop is a huge DR fan (and a bassist himself). I figured what the heck and bought a set of Black Beauties.

I really liked the way they sounded and felt, but I ended up ditching them for High Beams because I restrung for High C after only a few weeks. They still sounded OK at that time but were already starting to roll off.

Now that high beam set is doing the same. I think DRs sound just as nice as Elixirs, but they just don't last long enough for whatever reason.

/me is going back to Elixirs as soon as I can get my hands on a set.
  8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    I had the DR Marcus Miller set on my Essex, and they did go flat pretty quick. I prefer when strings go flat though, so I didn't mind. I have a set of Sunbeams as well, but they're not particularly bright to begin with, so I didn't notice how long it took before the sound flattened out.
  9. bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Perhaps "Screw my nasty, sweaty hands" would be more accurate. DR makes a great string. Sorry your experience was a bummer, but I have never been short of thrilled with all of their products.
  10. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    I like the sound of DRs, but they don't last very long for me either.
  11. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Stainless Beams last longer for me than any other string, and I've tried most of them.
  12. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    My Bootzilla's just came in today. I'll give a review after we've had some "alone time" ;)
  13. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i use Lo-Riders....

mine go dead fairly quick, but then again they don't call me acid hands for nothing....

i rotate my strings via denatured alcohol - my strings are always bright - at least for a couple of gigs
  14. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    Elixir's are outstanding strings, and I haven't found a better set yet (not saying i've tried plenty either) Thier bright and I get about 5-4 months out of them depending how hard im playing. I don't know much of their 5 and 6 string sets but I use their nanoweb 4's on my kubicki and they sound great.
  15. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I don't like them either.
  16. bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    Hmm elixir's, I'll have to try me soma them...
  17. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Same here with the acid hands. It doesn't matter which brand of strings I use, they all lose their "zing" within a few weeks. Wiping them down with GHS Fast Fret regularly helps a bit. I haven't tried a set of coated strings, but if the tone hangs in there noticebly longer than standard strings, they may be worth the additional cost.
  18. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I've not had this problem with other sets actually. Elixirs, Blue Steels, Rotosound, all work for several months under most cases. Less in the summer time because humidity around here is so awful, but I keep my bass in a room with 24/7 AC so its less of a problem.

Even Brite Wires, possibly the worst strings on the planet in my opinion, give me more than a month on average.

Best string life I've ever expirienced was from a set of Maxim Golds. two and a half YEARS and they still sounded perfect when I stupidly sold the bass they were on. That was porbably the best $90 I'll ever spend on music equipment, wish I they were still made.
  19. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I believe they're still available, under the name Optima.
  20. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    DR's are my favorite strings...