Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Screw Guitarists, Who Needs 'Em.

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by supernaut_1, Feb 25, 2004.

1. supernaut_1

supernaut_1 Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    Texas
    alright, that's a bit over the top and it's mainly just rage ranting because i'm in lack of any guitarist to work with. but anyways, here are some of my recordings that i'm trying to make work without a guitar by multi-tracking and the use of a drum machine. what do you think?

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/1/dylanrossmusic.htm

2. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Not bad, a little plodding for my taste. Kind of like balancing over the gap between The Melvins and Nirvana, not sludgy enough for one, not quite pop enough for the other. Overall, not bad.

I reccommend you check out Lightning bolt, they're a drum-bass duo from Providence and they do some pretty cool stuff.

Also, MAN, this one guy with a bass and a kick drum from Detroit. It's best to let you experience it first hand, www.beerforman.com

Also, Tugboat, it's a drummer guy that plays along with midi files and video game noises. You could try experimenting with some of the techniques he uses.

In the past few weeks, I've come across a surprising number of bands with multiple bassists and a singular guitarist. It's a sea change.

3. MMSterling

MMSterling Guest

Feb 19, 2004
    Leicester, England
    Not bad at all they aren't, keep it up mate!

Andy :bassist:

4. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    :eek:

Are you saying you can't find a guitarist?

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Mild Hijack: Screw bands who needs em! Reza :p

As for your stuff...pretty neat, a little too boomy at times but, generally manageable...very primusy.

6. supernaut_1

supernaut_1 Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    Texas
    well the problem is that most guitarists i know are to busy and taken by other bands, but i do have one friend who plays guitar. but two problems come with that, he's not exactly to where i would like to play, skill-wise that is, and he just got marshall tsl100 with a 4x12. so i need a much bigger rig. anyways, thanks for the comments from everyone, i appreciate it.

7. I like all of the originals and the metallica songs, but sorry, i kinda like tom morello too much to kick him out of a band! but i notice i am kinda snobby when it comes to ratm. but i like the rest of them!

Charlie

8. Beauville

Beauville

Jan 6, 2004
    Man, you need to work on your rhythem for Orion. Other than that, it's not too shabby.