Screw hole repair tip

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by pkr2, Mar 21, 2003.

1. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Repairing stripped out screw holes for strap buttons is something that lots of us have had to contend with.

Like everything else there is more than one way to make the repair.

The most common way is to just jam the hole full of glue and toothpicks and reinsert the screw.

This method definitely tightens the strap button but does nothing to correct the cause of the problem, screwing into the end grain of the wood.

For less than five bucks you can buy a little tool called a plug cutter at your local hardware store.

They come in various sizes but the 1/4" size will cover most repairs.

Cut a plug from a scrap of wood being sure to cut across the grain.

Drill the stripped screw hole out to 1/4" and glue the plug into the hole with wood glue.

If the plug is too short to fill the hole use more than one.

Cut the end of the plug off flush and redrill the screw hole. Replace the screw and you're done.

This method is WAY stronger than the glue and toothpick method.

A wood screw into the end grain of a piece of wood is a very weak connection and should never be done on a high stress connection.

By the way, this same procedure is the only way to go for stripped out neck mounting screws.

2. Bump!

Thanks Pkr2... sound advice AGAIN hehe.

Where's Hambone? Havent seen him about lately... He should have something to say on such a fix.

3. pardon my ignorance, but what does this mean?

I'm thinking you mean the screw goes into the wood grain parallel to it
    _____ ______

which would mean the grain could split.

you're suggesting the plug should be cut so the screw goes in at right angles to the grain-

4. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.

Yes. That's what I mean.

The holding power of a wood screw is nearly tripled if it's screwed in perpindicular to the grain of the wood.

To put it another way, a screw that is screwed into the end of a board is weaker than one screwed into the side of a board.

Merl: I've missed seeing Hambone lately too.

Hopefully he's just taking a breather.

5. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Good idea. Just make sure that the plug that you drill out is smaller in diameter than the end of your strap button. Otherwise, you see a ring of raw wood around the end of the strap. Maybe you don't care, but if you do, be careful.

The last two fixes for this problem that I have ran upon, I have simply filled the stripped hole with wood filler and ran the screw back in there.

It's faster and easier and seems to be holding just fine.

6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Too much work for me. ;) The toothpick & glue always worked for me & never gave me a follow up problem. :)