Screw on battery covers-- are quick load battery doors better?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by alaskaleftybass, Jan 5, 2021.

1. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. In Memoriam

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    I bought an Ibanez SR1200L VNF Premium last winter. I love the bass, the woods, the neck and Nordy pickups. But I'm not thrilled that the battery is in the electronics compartment on the back of the bass held on with five small screws. In this 21st century, how many of you still prefer a battery box with screws and a snap-on 9v cap over a battery compartment that has a built in battery connection? One step and voila--done. Opinions please.

box.gif

2. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I'm surprised the Ibanez still had a screw cover. I thought Ibanez only used popup at this point.

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  3. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Actually my SR1200L VNF is probably 8 years old. But it was very well taken care of. I can forgive the screw on cover!

AudioTaper likes this.
  4. biguglyman

biguglyman

Jul 27, 2017
    Pownal, ME
    All my Carvins have had the pop-up cover. Only bass I ever owned with screws was my old G&L. I, too, prefer the pop-up type

Ronzo and alaskaleftybass like this.
  5. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Hey, @biguglyman ! Nice of you to drop by! :thumbsup:

biguglyman likes this.
  6. jeff62

jeff62 Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Central FL
    Whatever your preference, here's what you can bank on: a screw on cover will never fail or break. A pop-up cover wears over time and may break, or may simply suffer breakage because your bass suffered a mishap while the door was swung open.

7. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Yes, they are better. The screw-off covers have the battery with that annoying snap on thingy that really sucks.

100-50-10pcs-DC-9-Volt-9V-Snap-on-Strap-Battery-Holder-Clip-Connector-T-Type.jpg

8. CosmicRay

CosmicRay Supporting Member

My Martin BC-15E has a pop-up, my Modulus Q4 has a screw cover. Pop-up is more convenient.

alaskaleftybass, Ggaa and Ronzo like this.
  9. Drifter8230

Drifter8230

Sep 4, 2020
    NOVA
    I had been unscrewing the control cavity on my older bass for years, in fact, it is missing a screw :banghead:

I was VERY pleasantly surprised that a new bass I bought had the pop-up. I felt like I had entered the 21st century at last :hyper:. It seems to me that the pop-up is a great idea, and only "dinosaur" basses don't have them!!

alaskaleftybass, The Rage and Ronzo like this.
  10. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    I have to open the control cavity to change batteries in my Tobias Growler. I do this about once a year and it doesn't bother me at all. It's easier than changing out the 9v batteries in the smoke detectors.

11. bass12

bass12 Have You Met Grace Jones?

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Pop up is more convenient, screw on is probably more durable. Given how rarely I need to change batteries I prefer the screw on cover (which is what all but one of my basses have).

12. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Prefer? Probably not.
    But considering I’ve probably unscrewed my EBMM battery covers maybe 10 times since the ‘80’s I’m picking my battles elsewhere. Tabs are easier.

13. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    I prefer passive basses... :)

14. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    The compartment is much better. It's quicker to change
    and safer than handling the flimsy battery connector that is
    prone to breaking if not handled properly.

m-j and alaskaleftybass like this.
  15. BobKos

BobKos

Apr 13, 2007
    I have bunch of basses and many are active. I take the batteries out of the ones I think are going to sit for a while. The pop covers are definitely more practical in this regard. They allow me to safely store a bass without much fuss and they also allow me to grab same bass and have it ready to play in 10 seconds with a quick battery install. Pop covers all the way for me and with few exceptions I won't buy an active bass without.

16. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Columbia, MD Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    I prefer screw covers that Fender has used with an oversized screw that you can open with a dime or penny.

17. lfmn16

lfmn16 Inactive

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    I prefer the quick load, but here's a tip - If it's that inconvenient, you don't need all 5 screws to hold that little piece of plastic on. ;)

alaskaleftybass and mikewalker like this.
  18. My favorite battery cover solution comes on Dingwall basses.

Magnetic, with finger holes, super slick. Quality battery connectors in an accurately sized compartment.

Least favorite is the usual four or five tiny, soft metal, wood screws into wood, revealing a cheap, flimsy battery connector. I’m looking at you, Peavey.

I haven’t used any of the flip door type yet. They look nice, but do they hold?

19. I have 3 active basses - two Squier VM Jaguars (P/J with Audere 4-band preamp and a HB, stock) with rear-mounted battery boxes, and an Ibanez 500FL with the battery mounted in the control cavity. The Ibanez has four or five tiny screws securing the control plate - a total PITA, especially as I get older. I’ll change the battery for a fresh one before a gig, and rotate the battery to one of the Squiers if I need to play fretless.

I hate PITA designs like that, although I understand the cost savings.

20. IMG_20180520_174052153.jpg

That's what I did to my MTD Kingston, 4 neo magnets and drilled a hole in the cover. No tools necessary to carry around now.